Logo

Mercruiser 30

marineman43

Contributing Member
"Changed new Rotor cap and fue

"Changed new Rotor cap and fuel pump.(Tell tale had fuel in it)
Noticed the engine was not running good after(Backfiring out of carb) and was not getting to plane before.

When I poked a rag in number 1 cylinder and got the engine on TDC ( Marks on bottom pulley line up perfect on 0 )

The rotor is pointing in the opposite direction of any cylinders,should this not be pointing to number 1? See pictures

Any thoughts would be helpful on what to do.

Thanks Mike
290718.jpg
Rotor"">
290719.jpg
TDC"">}"

"Turned it over another revol

"Turned it over another revolution and rotor is pointing to # 2 cylinder now.

Trying to get the plug wires on the distribter cap the right way is all.
When I go be the seloc diagram,all it does is backfire from the carb when turning over

1 top left 2 bottom left 3 top right 4 bottom right on the cap"

timing is 1-3-4-2 clockwise

timing is 1-3-4-2 clockwise

is the cap marked 1-2-3-4

look at the old cap if it isn't

Original cap is not marked.

Original cap is not marked.
1-3-4-2 clockwise starting where on the cap?

Got the Engine on TDC..would this be where the rotor is pointing to be number 1 on the cap?.. then go clockwise?

Mike

"Got the fireing order right..

"Got the fireing order right....
Now I noticed its trying to start but like its flooding itself out.
When I looked in the carb,(engine never ran just putted)all I see is alot of gas dripping in and the carb quarter full of gas.

This is after I changed the fuel pump( Knew it was bad from gas in the tell tale)

Because of the new fuel pump,think a carb problem is showing up?

It ran better before I changed the fuel pump,just didnt have no planning power

Mike"

We are having a similar proble

We are having a similar problem the boat will run fine for sometimes up to 10-15 minutes then just out of the blue the carb will start to flood boat begins to run rough and then dies. The carburetor has been rebuilt 3-4 times at boat shop the fuel has been drained and no apparent sediment the diaphram in the fuel pump has been checked and it is fine. They did find a problem with the coil and replaced that but other than that they are stumped. They said they tried another carb and it did the same thing. Is it possible that a mechanical fuel pump can begin to have to much pressure for the carburetor? We believe the fuel pump is original boat is a 1997 bayliner merc 3.0 with a 2 barrel Rochester. Any ideas??

Did they use an OEM Rochestor

Did they use an OEM Rochestor carb kit w/a new float? The fuel inlet kit has a specific needle valve with or w/o a spring and a new valve seat.

If they used a generic kit it may not have the right parts.

Last update from boat shop is

Last update from boat shop is that the boat started and was running lean so they adjusted to richin it up ran OK for a few minutes then began to run too rich so they adjusted and no matter how they adjusted it ran rich.

The carb bowl must have an int

The carb bowl must have an internal casting plug leak allowing to much fuel to enter the engine. Buy another carb or get a used one and transfer the kit to it.

Back