Logo

Thermostat on 1974 4 HP 2cycle

waterbird

"when i bought this motor the

"when i bought this motor the seller cranked
it from cold and it started peeing right away
I bought it,took it home,and it sat for about 3 weeks,now it will run but not pee,I did the basic
stuff like blow compressed air through tell tell
hole,and it blows through the bottom.I'm running
it in a barrel,he used ear muff's and I haven't
done anything to the motor since? anything else
I could try before i tear into the impellor? and
i'm letting it run no more than a minute before I
shut it down,should I let it run longer to see if
it will prime the pump? trying to be carefull and not burn the little guy up..thank's"

"are you saying to change the

"are you saying to change the entire pump? or the
impeller? also,I don't have a manual,but looking
at the parts breakdown at crowlay marine,it appears the impeller sits just under the waterpump
could I replace this from the top,or would I have to tear into the leg? thank's P.s It's not that I'm too cheap to buy a repair manual,it just that
I find these old outboards at yard sales cheap,and
am learning to work on them,buying manuals for everyone I find would be expensive..."

"We change the impeller, thats

"We change the impeller, thats what pumps the water. Every other time or so we buy the waterpump kit, it has the impeller, housing, gaskets and orings. The kit goes for about $50, the impeller for less than $20.
Normally the lower unit must be removed to get to the waterpump. The hard part is disconnecting the shift shaft, there all hooked up different. Some just slide apart, others have linkage to be disconnected. The trick is knowing what and how. Once the lower unit slides off the waterpump is right there in the housing. Remove housing, slide the old off, lube the new one, slide it on the shaft and on the keyway, push housing on new impeller and turn driveshaft at the same time C.W. It will form the waterpump as your turning. Reassemble with the controls in neutral and lower unit in neutral."

"I do thank you for the advise

"I do thank you for the advise.I am an old school
mechanic(before they called them tech's)and I was
allway's taught to try the most obvious,simple
things first,so I tried the compressed air..no go
tried spraying water into the tell tell pipe..no go
then I thought about things for a minute and wondered if the impeller could be stuck to the housing by way of insects,or something..anyway
I sprayed my trusty lubricant into the weep hole
and 10 seconds later she's pumping like she should! bottom line,never overlook the obvious in a situation,and try the easiest things first..and
as I said at the beggining,I REALLY do appreciate
the advice!!.."

"there's something wrong,

"there's something wrong, the impeller is keyed to the drive shaft. It cant slip, it may be so dry rotted that its not making a seal against the housing and the wd-40 temporarily cured it. It will fall apart at the worst time, pieces clogging the engine, overheat, and destroy your day/engine. Pay now or later....Change every 2 years, $20 ----priceless----"

"(in a Homer Simpson voice

"(in a Homer Simpson voice) DOOH!! haaha!
oh well,thank's buzzkill...maybe the lubricant
allowed the dirt daubers some slickum to slide
out of their nest in the impeller? I'll keep
my eye on it though,I never intended to put the
thing in the waawa anyway,just wanted to see if I could get a $40.00 yard sale 35 year old motor running and I did! thank's again!"

"Be warned, the hose and bucke

"Be warned, the hose and bucket give different results...

Hose has pressure and will disguise a bad pump. A drum will show this very quickly as the pump has to work on it's own.

You've all been warned now...
uhoh.gif
"

Back