Logo

Kohler marine generator help

nmcap

"Anyone familiar with the Kohl

"Anyone familiar with the Kohler marine gensets?
I have a 6.5 ESZ that I 'think' is overheating and shutting
down. It runs for about 10 minutes then stops.
water flow is good, air intake is clear, changed fuel filter.
still shutting down. antifreeze level and oil levels are good.

now what?

now for my silly question, what forces the antifreeze to circulate?
There is no circulation pump like you would find on a regular
in board engine.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,

TwS"

"should be a circulation pump

"should be a circulation pump on the end of the engine. That's what makes the coolant flow.

Did you check the interlock switches?

Also, check to ensure the vent line is open, to the fuel tank"

what year is the genset. I had

what year is the genset. I had a similar problem with the 7.5kw and after changing everything I found that the cam for the fuel pump had worn down and was giving enough fuel. I switched to electric pump and problem was solved.

I have a 1985 Kohler 7.5 kw marine gen that works well until I turn on my air conditioner at which time the AC volts drop to 0. It works everything else on my boat, electric heater, refrigerators lights etc, but the minute I turn on either air cond the voltage drops to zero,but the generator is still running fine. I suspect the voltage regulator, but how can I check it.

We have a 50's. 6.5 R27 Kohler generator. We just bought this boat . We can't figure out how it starts there is no starter nor a place to put one on it .it's been Jerry rigged at on time so was the electrical wires for the boat so it is quite a mess already replaced the motor everything at one time was under water .the mercruier has water in it but there's no water in the oil of the generator.but the wires just crumbled when touched . Hope someone can help us

Last edited:
Back