Logo

Top speed

vintage

Contributing Member
So if anyone remembers... I wa

So if anyone remembers... I was wondering what kind of top speed my 1973 Merc 165 inliner in a 19 foot Olympic V-hull should do. My speedo says about 36 mph pinned at about 3300 rpm with a 19X14.5" prop. It seemed there should have been more throttle. The engine seemed like it was relaxed at 3300 rpm's. What rpm's are your inliners running wide open?

Eric<><

Is the stern and floatation fo

Is the stern and floatation foam water logged? Hull clean and slick? Run a compression check both dry/wet and compare the numbers.

"Ya know...that is one thing t

"Ya know...that is one thing that slipped my mind regarding this. The boat did get filled with water several years ago. The bad thing is, there was a hole cut right through the fiberglass (by the manufacturer)in the bilge into the foam to make room for the oil pan. I drilled a 1" hole in the back of the boat under the stern drive 3/4" above the "V" as in V-hull. I then jacked the front way up and drained out at least 5 gallone of water, may be more. This was last year. I put a brass flange in the hole with a 1/2" plug. I take it out during the winter and jack up the front so it will continue to drain.

Thanks,
Eric"

"Eric:

All of the foam is w

"Eric:

All of the foam is waterlogged. If it has not already happened, the exposed wood in the stringers, transom and floor are wet and rotting. One gallon of water weighs 8 lbs. The only way to remove the water is to pull up the floor, remove the soggy foam, dry/repair/replace damaged wood in the stringers, transom and floor. Use CPES treated wood. Replace the old foam w/closed cell foam or leave it out. Thats what I did and it makes a big difference."

"I use a 14.5"x19p prop an

"I use a 14.5"x19p prop and got 36mph @ 3700rpm with a bad carb, and a 105hp cam in my I6 (Chevy Nova Camshaft.. vs a Mercruiser Camshaft profile for 165hp and I have 160psi comp on all cyls. I'm hoping for 45mph @ 4200rpm with the right cam, and new carb. I also have an adapter to use a 4bbl carb from a 4.3L V6 Mercruiser Webber style. tested with that, but with the NOVA cam it died at about 3200-3300rpm cuz I didnt' have the restricter in the #3/#4 intake port."

Sounds like what Guy says is r

Sounds like what Guy says is right. I really don't think I will be tearing up the floor to put in new wood this side of retirement and having a shop. I will probably just raise the bow way up and pull the plug I cut into stern and let her drip during the winter. Thanks for all the help. I would say the mystery is solved.

Eric

Back