Logo

Canbt keep Chrysler 440 running

jhargrove

"I had this same problem a mon

"I had this same problem a month ago and thought I fixed it by changing the fuel/water separator filter (and changing it often). The engine will start but quickly conks out, being starved for gas. I've changed the filter several times over the past few days, going on the assumption that junk is in the gas and clogging the filter and starving the carb of gas. I can see some particles floating around when I empty the filter but not an alarming amount. So here's what happened over the past two days:
- yesterday, I had it running okay. Went out and had to turn around after a half mile or so. Kept stalling out and had to limp my way back in. Wouldn't start when I got back to the pier.
- this morning, I disconnected the line to the carb and cranked the ignition. Two bursts of gas, then dribbles, then none.
- I then took apart the entire fuel/water separator kit.
- I then did a test: I put the end of the line that had connected to the fuel filter into a spare jug of gas (the other end of the line is connected to the fuel pump). The engine started no problem and ran fine. That told me that the problem has to be with the fuel/water filter
- I verified that the top of the filter housing is okay, all the holes are free and clear
- In the valve connected to the out end of the fuel filter, a piece of tape had come off and it looked like it was blocking the path. So I cleaned it and reconnected
- I sucked on the line coming from the gas tank and verifed that gas is flowing
- I reconnected everything and put on a new filter
- It started up and I ran her for about 30 minutes. Everything was okay.
- I took her out for a test spin and could tell right away that things still weren't right
- Within about 20 minutes, I had to turn around and she stalled out on me again, just like yesterday and I had to limp back in
- After getting secured in the slip, I cranked her up and she ran roughly. I accelerated to about 2K RPMs and started to quickly lose RPMs. Finally, she stalled and I had enough.

Sorry for all the typing but wanted to give the full details. I have to believe this is something simple.

Any thoughts?

Thanks much"

Did you try a fuel pump??If yo

Did you try a fuel pump??If youve put new filters on and can blow through the line it should pump unless the pump is on its way out..
From the carb disconnected in a jug turning it over you should get a good amount of fuel..Is it a single engine or twin if single maybe your vent is plugged if thats the case take off the fill cap to vent and run a while see if it works fine that way then clear the vent and recap??

I suspect the anti-siphon valv

I suspect the anti-siphon valve at the tank is causing all this. Pull it and see. It should be right where the gas line comes out of the fuel tank. If it's stiff in its action replace it.

Jeff

"Thanks to both answers. I did

"Thanks to both answers. I did put in a new fuel pump about a month ago, thinking that was the problem. Also, the fact that I was able to run the engine fine with the fuel line into a two gallon jug (and going straight to the fuel pump) tells me the pump is good. It's a single screw. The vent line looks to be totally separate from the fill line. Does that make sense?

Jeff- The tank is underneath the deck and I'm wondering what the access to the valve is. I'll take a look tomorrow. Sorry but when you say to replace it if it's stiff in its action- what do you mean? Also, is the valve that I described above, coming out of the "out" end of the fuel filter an anti-siphon valve? I can blow air one way into it but not the other.

One last thing- a guy at the marina was telling me that the rubber hose (about 18") connecting the fill pipe to the pipe that goes to the tank should be replaced, given that it's old and cracking. Apparently, the ethanol eats away at these old hoses and causes bits to fall off into the fuel. Not sure if this is anyway related to my problem but thought I should mention it. And it is old, cracking and somewhat compressed. I recently got the boat and it's the first time I've noticed this."

"..."a guy at the marina w

"..."a guy at the marina was telling me that the rubber hose (about 18") connecting the fill pipe to the pipe that goes to the tank should be replaced, given that it's old and cracking. "

Correct! Get that out of there quick!

The anti-siphon valve is a spring loaded affair that loves to stick closed, shutting off the fuel flow--sound familiar?

Jeff

PS: If YOU are gonna replace that fill hose, let me know and I'll give you a few pointers."

"Yes, I was planning to replac

"Yes, I was planning to replace the hose myself. I sense the urgency with your response! What do I need to do and could this be contributing to my problem? If so, how?

As for the anti-siphon valve, what if I can't get at it without tearing up the deck (obviously not high on the wish list)? Also, do you think it's worth replacing the valve that comes out of the fuel filter? It sounds like it's the same kind of valve you're talking about. One end I can blow into and feel air coming out, the other- nothing when I blow into it. I can see a little ball inside."

That's the sucker! Replac

That's the sucker! Replace it with a new one if you can.

The fill hose(s) have a wire inside to reinforce them--and make removing them a b*tch! The easy way is to find the end of the wire--chop away at the hose with a knife--then rip the wire out of the way. You can then slice the hose along it's length and remove easily.

Jeff

"Jeff- Thanks so much. I took

"Jeff- Thanks so much. I took off the AS valve and brought it to a local marine supplier. The guy said that the ball inside should not be rolling around so free. It's an odd valve so I didn't have any luck finding a replacement so I ended up popping the ball out. I noticed the spring inside was sitting sideways (not sure if I did that while popping the ball out or whether it was like that). I then cranked her up and she's running great.

As for the hoses, I noticed a metal strip on the outside, running the length of the hose. I wonder if that's serving the purpose you mentioned.

Thanks again!

Jonathan"

Great!

That outside metal

Great!

That outside metal strip is merely a ground wire. The really bad *ss wire is molded inside the rubber of the hose.

Jeff

Back