Logo

Honda tachometer

jasoncalleja

Regular Contributor
Hi i have a Honda outboard bf

Hi i have a Honda outboard bf 20hp 2008 model i bought a tachometer with part no hp-0243-001 for it and found out that it is not compatible with it now i done some research and i found that there are 3 tachometers identical and with the same part no and discovered that there is another identification no on the back of each one all i want to know is how can i find out which is the one that will fit the Honda bf20

"Googling the part number you

"Googling the part number you listed, I have found several pictures of the tachometer that you are questioning. If the pictures are accurate, the tach that you purchased will only work with 35HP - 50HP Honda Outboards made in 2005 and before. If it is the tach that I believe it is, it is a little smaller in diameter than the standard tach. This tach also had no way on its back to change the setting for different poles. I have a box of these at work, as they were shipped with every 35 HP to 50HP over the years. Most of the time it did not match the customer's other gauges, so we used other tachs. I will check my box tomorrow to affirm that what I am saying is accurate.

The number is not a Honda Part number that I know of, so I am not sure if the others are the same or a variation. They may be just a different vintage.

Your 20D takes a tachometer that it capable of a setting of 12 poles or 6 pulses.

You can buy the gauges with the Honda name, but they are made by Faria or Teleflex. Most new Faria or Teleflex tachs (for outboards) available through many sources have the settings for the 20HP. You can also buy these with digital hour meters built in. This really helps you keep up with the service intervals."

Thanks for your information mi

Thanks for your information mike. Before i bought it i asked the seller if it will work with the BF20 and he said yes it should but after installed it and started the outboard the tachometer worked but with the double revs my problem is that i bought a speedometer too and worked a stainless steel covers for them as i want to install them on the railing of the consol and i need to find a tachometer from faria that matches to it and with the same size. Now i have opened the tachometer and found a small variable switch i will try it if it can be adjusted the next time i start the outboard and if it will not work and will not find another tachometer with the same size i will have to buy from my Honda dealer the right one

I started the outboard and wit

I started the outboard and with that little variable switch i adjusted the tachometer to read the proper revs now it is ok i can use it . thanks

Re: I started the outboard and wit

Hi,
Is this the same tach you owned(see jpg). Do you remember what the internal settings were? I am having the same difficulties you had. Thanks.

hondatach.jpg

I want to clarify: Was this potentiometer in tachometer Honda ( HP-0243-001) ?

I started the outboard and with that little variable switch i adjusted the tachometer to read the proper revs now it is ok i can use it . thanks

I want to clarify: Was this potentiometer in tachometer Honda ( HP-0243-001) ?

Back