Logo

Impeller Westerbeke 44a

ashanty_2008

Hello I need about every 100 h

Hello I need about every 100 h a new impeller. The bearings from the raw water pump are ok. So what could be the problem -or is this a normal behaviour????

How high above the water line

How high above the water line is the generator.
If the pump has to lift the water to high it will be heating up and damaging the impeller. Ideally the pump will stay primed at all times.
Try putting a check valve close to the pump so that the water does not drain back.

"Its not a generator it's

"Its not a generator it's a 'diesel engine'. Water cannot drain back, because the filter is higher than the engine..."

"It does not mater. If you are

"It does not mater. If you are looking for help you need to give more info in request.

Is the filter above the waterline? If so it can still drain back and you can have an air trap in the filter, thus starving the impeller and reducing its life. There is no other reason for impellers to fail every 100 hours.
I get 2000 hours or more."

The raw water filter and hoses

The raw water filter and hoses in the suction side of the system should be level with the water pump or below it because as I said earlier it will trap air at the high point and make it difficult to bleed to a pump that is lower.

"Okay, now we are coming close

"Okay, now we are coming closer... The filters are above the engines (original installation) but there is always water in the hose (from the filter to the pump) when the engine is shut of... Should I located the filter lower????"

Back