Logo

Trolling option

scott_duerring

Regular Contributor
"Does anybody know what the &#

"Does anybody know what the "trolling" option means on the Crusader engine? When you put the engine on a laptop the readout lists a number of things either in the "on" or "off" state, on my 1998 8.2 EFI engines there is a "trolling" option with an on or off state, mine reads "off". What is this? What happens if you turn it on?"

"Looking at the rinda manual,

"Looking at the rinda manual, its a set of functions used on a MEFI5 controller. I think yours are MEFI3's so it's a NA.

Which scan tool are you using? Which screen does it show up in and can you toggle the value?"

"Mine is a version 3. It actua

"Mine is a version 3. It actually pops up on the screen on the laptop the mechanic was using to scan the engine so I am not sure what program he was using if there are a variety of them. I did not ask him to see if he could turn it on and off and he was not sure what it meant. It also appears in the MEFI manual I have but the manual gives no explanation of what it means either, the manual is for MEFI3 as well. By NA do you mean "not applicable" so it does nothing?"

"There's a posting on the

"There's a posting on the mercruiser board where a gent says merc doesn't implement that on MEFI3's but doesn't ellaborate on what it does.

Maybe Rick, our 'resident' Primere Dealer will chime in on this one. He's probably the best source, here.

I think I have a delphi manual somewhere; if I can find it, i'll see what it says.

Last option, you could call crusader's factory tech support and ask - won't cost anything but your time.

Yes, NA = not applicable. Could be something Delphi put in the code but wasn't implemented, for a variety of reasons."

"Mark, you're exactly righ

"Mark, you're exactly right. The Diacom software is set up to recognoze trolling valves but they are not used on these engines. A lot of the diagnostic programs work on the same platform and are tuned for individual systems, that's the reason you find a lot of options which are not active on many engines."

"Thanks Rick!

i heard back

"Thanks Rick!

i heard back from my 'associate' that does a bit of MEFI tinkering. He said on the earlier models, there was a shared discrete input and an output that could accomodate the TROLL function. He added that they set up a dedicated pair on the MEFI 5 units but hadn't seen anybody use it. neither of us knew it was for gear control."

Thanks for the information. Ha

Thanks for the information. Have been exploring ways to slow my boat down for trolling here in the Great Lakes and was wondering if this was an option rather than dragging bags and whatnot...

"Scott:

Trolling valves are

"Scott:

Trolling valves are a great way to slow down your boat, especially for trolling.

I've never seen them on BW72's or smaller...maybe the 5000s can be fitting with them. Having the ECU control engine RPM while they are working would be worth the effort to reprogram it, if needed.

Have you looked into this yet?"

The engines are hooked up to V

The engines are hooked up to Velvet Drive 5000 gears. I thought that the typical trolling "valve" was a device that essentially let the transmission "slip" a little at idle speed to slow the boat down rather than affecting RPMs. Is that right? If so then I am guessing that reprogramming the ECUs would be one step the other would be to have some connection to the gearbox???

"You got it. Haven't seen

"You got it. Haven't seen the delphi code but would expect when the valves are engaged, the engine RPM would be limited by the ECU until the valves are released.

You may wanna call velvet drive to see if hooking up a valve on your gear is even possible."

Back