Logo

Mercury marine thunderbolt ingition 500 50 HP

yknot

I want to know if this is a re

I want to know if this is a reliable engine. I am looking to buy a 24' pontoon boat that has this engine on it and want to know if it is prone to problems?

"the 4 cyl 50 is one of mercs

"the 4 cyl 50 is one of mercs finest small engines, the 3 cyl is more of the ugly sister to the 4 banger. That being said the 500 is getting some age to her and anything can and will go wrong if not maintained."

it is the 4 cyl. if anything d

it is the 4 cyl. if anything does go wrong are they fairly easy to fix and not to expensive?

"The 500 was made from 63 to 7

"The 500 was made from 63 to 78, standard water pump and plugs are still to be had, other parts are no longer available. You are taking a chance buying something of that vintage, but there should be used parts to be found. Carb/fuel problems are the most common, but are also the cause of most destroyed engines."

Virtually every part for those

Virtually every part for those motors is available through oldmercs.com or on eBay. Merc made millions of them--the 4 cylinder was in production from the late 40s 'til the 90s and rivals the SB Chevy.

Go for it!

Jeff

A 2 stroke.----get a manual ---read it twice before turning the key.-----Install a new water pump impeller now.----Post more pictures of motor and cover ( cowling ) here.

Thanks Racerone😃. Is the any way I can find the service manual for the engine, I'd like to get it up and running again after at least 25 years of not being started?

Find it right here on this site.------Should be lots on E-bay as well.-----But do a complete evaluation before spending any pub money on it.----Compression test is #1 thing to do.---Or remove intake bypass covers and look at pistons / rings.

Back