Logo

Mariner 175 will not go above 1000 rpm

charles

" Engine is driving me crazy.

" Engine is driving me crazy. It run good on the hose in the yard, but once I put it in the water,in gear, it will not go above 1000 rpms, not even at full throttle. Carb was rebuilt back in october and I run it even when not going out. Has new plug wires and plugs. New fuel filter, new water fuel seperator. Any advice would be great. Thanks "

The first thing you need to d

The first thing you need to do is a compression check and let us know what numbers you get on each cylinder.

" 120 PSI across the board. W

" 120 PSI across the board. When I checked for spark on all Cylinders, I pulled the middle ( plug # 4 I believe), and when I pulled it I saw sparks flying to a bolt near the coil? WHen I plugged it back in there was no flying spark to this bolt. "

" charles,

Have you

" charles,

Have you tried shifting it into gear on the flush attachment? Can you bring the RPM's over 1000 when in neutral in the water? From what you've described, it sounds like it could be a problem that is related to being in gear. If you try shifting it into gear, do not bring it above in idle in gear on the flush attachement, the engine can "run-away".

Jon "

Engine runs great on the hose

Engine runs great on the hose. I put it in and out of gear with no problems. THe problem only occurs when under load. As soon as I put it in the water. Goes Way above 1000 rpms on the hose in gear.

"Charles,

What do the spark

"Charles,

What do the spark plugs look like after running the engine?

"

" The oil is premixed 50/1. T

" The oil is premixed 50/1. They did not look bad. I do notice that when I pull the plug wires at low rpm, I seem to have weak spark on two cylinder on one side, one on the other. But I do get spark. When I raise the rpms, I get great spark on all cylinders. "

I had to do a stator and two

I had to do a stator and two regulator's on my 175 merc last year. I had what started as a charging problem(trying to put 17 volts into my batteries) and it gradually started to run funny under a load(dropping a cylinder or two) It would eventually clear out but then the high volts started again. I did the stator and reg's and it was fine..... quite pricey though. Parts alone were right at $500. I just HAD to have the good charging system...........

" Well, I'm going to try c

" Well, I'm going to try changing the switch boxes tomorrow. We will see what happens. "

"Charlie,

I am having the

"Charlie,

I am having the same problem now with a 40hp Mariner. Please email me asap if you find out any info. Fishing season is here and I need to get this thing running. I will email you if I find out anything of interest first. By the way my engine did run away with me today when I put it above idle in gear at the house, Jon is very right. Good Luck!!!
[email protected]"

Have decided to rebuild the c

Have decided to rebuild the carb. Needs it anyway. I will let you know if this does any good. Some guys I work with seem to think it is the high jet in the carb.

" GJ. I am in the process of

" GJ. I am in the process of changing the Stator now. It was not the switchboxes as I thought, so now on to the next thing. I'm pretty positive it has to be the stator. I will update you. "

" could be a fuel problem, spr

" could be a fuel problem, spray some fuel down the
carb when on the lake and it won't go over 1000rpm. "

i JUST FIXED THE SAME PROBLEM

i JUST FIXED THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY 115 MARINER i HAD NO POWER WHEN UNDER LOAD BUT STARTED AND IDELED FINE iT WAS A BROKEN SPRING AT THE ADJUSTMENT POINT FOR SPARK ADVANCE.

Back