Logo

AQ125 B wonbt start and backfires out the carb

cbdezz

I have a AQ125 B motor that wo

I have a AQ125 B motor that would start right when you turned the key. It was loaded with oil and grim so I used degreaser and water on it. The battery was not hooked up. 3 days later I went to use the boat and it won’t start. Turns over great and does nothing else but backfire out the carb. HELP! It’s getting gas. Plugs are new.

"Have you removed the distribu

"Have you removed the distributor cap and have a look inside? Chances are you will find moisture and/or corrosion. You may also check the connections of the spark plug wires at the ignition coil and distributor cap.

Addendum: oops, it looks like Robert, once again, was the fastest in drawing...
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
"

Should have added I did find a

Should have added I did find a crack in the distributor cap. Replaced that and the distributor and still not firing. The plug wires do not look like they have any moisture in them. It has been over a week now since I washed the motor down.

"Are you getting 12V to the &#

"Are you getting 12V to the (+) of the coil? If so, you may want to check if the points in the distributor are sticking or dirty.

This may look like a silly question, but did you replace the rotor? Sometimes that step can be forgotten (yes, it has happened in the past to me, too
blush.gif
)"

"This may seem like another si

"This may seem like another silly question, but (and yes, I've done this one in the past myself)... Is the firing order correct? It's easy to get the wires in the wrong place on the cap when replacing it.."

I pulled the distributor and f

I pulled the distributor and forgot to mark where the rotor was sitting.... How do I figure that out now?? In to big of a hurry...

"There are a few things you ca

"There are a few things you can do. One of them is to remove #1 spark plug and bring #1 piston to TDC at the end of the compression stroke. Then, if you remove the distributor cap, you will see where the rotor is pointing at in the cap: that lead should go to #1 cylinder; then clockwise, the following leads should go to cylinders 3, 4 and 2. Of course, you may have to jiggle the distributor back and forth somewhat until the engine runs smoothly, then you will have to adjust the ignition timing with a strobe light."

"To be sure you are at the com

"To be sure you are at the compression stroke with #1, remove the valve cover and note Cyl#4. When the valves changes from exhaust to inn -cyl one should be at compression. Stop the turning of engine when the timing mark is about 8-10BTD.
Install the distributor as El described above, but turn it just until you see the points starts to open. (rotor points at #1 output from cover)Use a test light or ohm-meter if you have on the points.
This should put you rather close."

Back