Logo

2006 opti 225 funky sound

hookahawg

"Hello folks,
hope someone ca

"Hello folks,
hope someone can give me a clue here.
earlier this summer, after a bit of a long, rough run on a local river (st. lawrence, montreal area), my motor, with only about 15 hours on the new 2006 PH (originally a '99, but blew up on previous owner), started to do two things. 1 : it didn't seem as "tight" where the main trim pivot pin is and 2: it started to make a funny noise, not quite a clicking and not quite a rattle but somewhere in between...almost like a metallic "clinking".
can't really hear anything at idle, becomes more pronounced as i rev up but doesn't really get louder with more rpms.
i'm obviously watching rpm's and varying the throttle for break in, but i've run the engine for probably 30-40 minutes since and there's no loss of power and she sarts right up everytime and runs good and strong.
now i took the kids out today, for the first time in a month and the engine started and idled just fine except that the cooling water "pee" trickle wasn't happening. stopped everything and came home.
could be dried weeds in system from last trip or maybe water pump, but more importantly, i noticed that on the driver's side of the engine, the trim pivot pin seems to be floating in the hole. it looks to be missing an end bushing that the pivot pin would sit in, perhaps knocked out during the rough water run.
when i tilt the motor up or down, on the trailer, the pivot pin moves freely in the hole, explaining the lack of tightness and excessive "wiggle".
could this be the source of my "clinking" sound ? although the sound seems to be coming from the air intake shroud area or front of the motor when i have the cap off.
would a failing or failed water pump or pump componant cause such a sound?
could it be my pivot pin rattling in it's housing?
and lastly, if an injector was going south on me, would the engine still run like nothing's wrong until the horrible end?
i really don't want to bring it to a shop just yet, there are no competent ones in my area anyway... unless you want spark plugs or lower unit oil changed
any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
thank you"

Back