Logo

1988 volvo penta 4 cyl 16 valve dual carb

sclermon

After blowing the timing belt

After blowing the timing belt the second time bending the valves ect.... Is there anyway that I can change the head with something else is there a match up with a dif. head or do I have to change to whole engine or redo it all over again.

"Steven, to the best of my kno

"Steven, to the best of my knowledge, the short answer is no. Unlike the VP OHC engines, yours is an "interference" engine and the pistons will hit open valves if the timing belt breaks. I guess this is the price you risk to pay for the extra power when compared with a OHC engine.

Have you tried to find out why the timing belts are breaking? One thing you may want to pay attention to is the condition of the timing gears: if they are rusty, they will eat the timing belt in no time. Also, I assume you have replaced the belt tensioner and set it correctly."

"El Pescador,

More Volvo ti

"El Pescador,

More Volvo timing belt havoc?

Steven,
for that motor i think you would need to find one on eBay or get a re-manufactured head...or have yours rebuilt."

"I said it before and I will s

"I said it before and I will say it again: DOHC , 16-valve (AQ171 A & C) is an INTERFERENCE engine, and if the timing belt breaks valve and piston damage will likely happen. This is not the case with the single OHC engines, which are non-interference (except for some rare cases)."

Back