Logo

Problems with 2005 Mercury 50hp 2 stroke

stan50

Here's my problem I start

Here's my problem I start up the engine it runs smooth in idle. I put it in gear and everything is fine while going slow. When I try to go 2/3rd throttle it just won't open up runs at half speed. After about 10 minutes of trying to get the engine to open up it starts to stall out and it's very hard to start. Sometimes I have to wait 15-20 minutes to start it up but will run very ruff and stalls out. Most times when I start it up I have to shift it quickly into gear in order for it to go. When I slow it down almost to a crawl it will stall. I recently had a water separator installed. What could be the problem? Any suggestion? Thanks in advance!!!

Classic fuel starvation. You&

Classic fuel starvation. You'll need to find out why:

1. Vent on tank blocked

2. Air leak in fuel line before the pump

3. Bad fuel pump

4. Carbs need a rebuild.

Jeff

"BJ, the tank was pumped out w

"BJ, the tank was pumped out when the fuel separator was installed. All new fuel in the tank.

FG, I checked 1 & 2 they are fine I will have to get someone to check 3 & 4.

I want to add something new. I can start up the engine easily in neutral when the prop is out of the water when I lower the prop in the water it stalls out right away. Do you still think it's the fuel pump or carb?

Thanks in advance!!!}"

mercury has a 2 stage stator.

mercury has a 2 stage stator. have your stator replaced with a mercury one not aftermarket.I found out the hard way after 4 mechanics and 2300 dollars.when the 2nd stage of the stator burns out the boat more or less goes into limp mode so you can get to shore.You need a repair place that has a large enough dunk tank to check stator output at wide open throttle

I would still bet on the fuel

I would still bet on the fuel problem (pump or carbs) - running fine without a "load" means it's getting enough gas at that point - once the motor is stressed a bit it's gaggin' looking for more fuel than it's getting...

If it ran totally fine below about 2500 rpms I would bet on Tracey's comments....

It ended up being a bad fuel p

It ended up being a bad fuel pump. Hopefully I can get through the season without anymore problem.

Tell me about it! Had my gran

Tell me about it! Had my grandkids at the boat last weekend and the motor wouldn't run--bad spark box (or etc.) Poor kids were sure disappointed.

Jeff

"Jeff,

Imagine convincing

"Jeff,

Imagine convincing the grand kids to row the tub with an experienced Tech on deck!

You should post a new thread, we'll help you solve the issue...
rofl.gif
"

"Might just take you up on tha

"Might just take you up on that, Ben. The charging coil is reading open, so I hope that's it.

Jeff"

Back