Logo

Depth Meter

mitch2008

"Thinking of getting a depth m

"Thinking of getting a depth meter fitted to my Sea Ray 175, will it involve getting the hull drilled?"

If your boat does not have a s

If your boat does not have a sandwich hull then get one that has a thru hull transducer.

"Sorry but I am totally new to

"Sorry but I am totally new to boating and know very little about it, how do I know if it has a sandwich hull?"

"I have a sea ray 175. It doe

"I have a sea ray 175. It does have a little bit of core sandwiched in there.

I installed a low-end fish finder (thru-hull transducer) to serve as a depth finder, and it works most of the time...but it does have its PMS-moments. I stuck it to the hull with some Duct-Seal, but maybe the better thing is to create a water-dam or use real epoxy (I was trying to find a good spot with the Duct Seal, and then epoxy later)."

"I've never had a whole bu

"I've never had a whole bunch of luck with thro hulls. My transom mounts on the other hand have performed admirably.
The key with any transom mount is to be sure that the drilled holes in the transom are truly sealed to prevent water infiltration.
I've heard others mention that you overdrill the hole size required, fill the holes with 3M 5500 and then redrill the holes to the smaller size required once the 5500 has set up. I've often wondered how you know that you've drilled in the exact centre of your previous hole?
I drill the hole size required for the stainless screw being inserted, fill the hole with 5500, and insert the screw. This stuff is almost bullet proof and will give a seal about as good as you will ever get. If you ever have to remove it, be prepared to drill it out. However, once that's done, refill the holes with the same product, allow it to cure, and you'll never have to worry about water infiltration"

Back