Logo

Trim Reservoir 1976 mercruiser 233

mre641999

"My starboard trim cylinder wi

"My starboard trim cylinder will not go up or down. i am going to drain and bleed the trim reservoir. Where do you drain the reservoir, and where do you fill it. the dataplate states it takes 20w motor oil"

Does the pump motor run? Pump

Does the pump motor run? Pump the oil out of the fill hole; vent screw should be open 1/3 turn at all times. Use Merc. power steering/trim fluid.

Older pumps such as his use 20

Older pumps such as his use 20 wieght oil and should continue to use it. the lighter oil does not seem to work as well..........

"I went to all the local suppl

"I went to all the local suppliers near me and not one had 20W non detergent motor oil. I found that if you go to a plumbing supplier and ask him for pump oil for transfer pumps, etc, it is 20W non detergent oil, perfect for the old style trim systems like yours and mine. I was also told that you can mix 10W and 30W to get the same viscosity if you are stuck. I replaced the 4 outside hoses last year and now find that the ones from the pump, out thru the transom are leaking. My next project! It never ends with these 35 year old boats,lol !!"

"I drained the reservoir and b

"I drained the reservoir and bled out the system. The Starboiard cylinder will not go up or down, but the port cylinder works great. I am pretty sure the starboard cylinder is bad."

Remove it and take it apart ca

Remove it and take it apart carefully. Most times you can take them apart and clean them up and maybe get a rebiuld kit from merc. If not just freeing them up and relubing all seals and orings can solve your problems.

Back