Logo

Dumb and dumber

fastjeff

Gold Medal Contributor
"Well, I really screwed up. Wa

"Well, I really screwed up. Was comparing the tach in my boat with a Tiny Tach, to calibrate it. Not getting a decent readings from the Tiny Tach, I got some aluminum foil to place over the other ignition wire and shield it from EMF interference. I've doen this before and it worked great, but I wrapped it tightly around the wire, not draped it over it.

Guess what? The EMF charged foil touched against the low voltage terminals of the ignition coil and blew out a perfectly good spark box. Damn and double damn! I watched the boat tach slowly drop to zero rpms with the motor still running--barely--and then it went away totally. No spark.

We live and learn...

Jeff

PS: Anyone out there havew a spark box for a Merc 25 (mid-80s) that they want to part with?"

"No bud, a veteran conceding d

"No bud, a veteran conceding defeat?

Sorry to hear mate, I'm sure you'll come right soon.

Thanks for the tip tho."

Got a Merc 40 hp twin given to

Got a Merc 40 hp twin given to me (I helped the fellow work on it for years) and--guess what?--it has the exact spark box I need!

Sometimes I get lucky.

Jeff

"does that mean the 40hp is up

"does that mean the 40hp is up for parts, I need a 2.85 piston for my donor engine
happy.gif
"

"Could be, but it'll be a

"Could be, but it'll be a few weeks before I rip into it. It's a 1982 model, by the way.

Jeff"

"same piston, its for my 35hp

"same piston, its for my 35hp 1989, no big deal either way but if it comes apart
uhoh.gif

My 83 40hp has been flawless since I got it. the 35hp (parts doner) is the same except for decals and switchbox wiring."

I'll save you a piston and

I'll save you a piston and rod when I rip it down.

Anything else you need?

Jeff

PS: E-mail me direct so I can save your address.

Back