Logo

Lack of Power

slider909

"Just got a boat that has a 19

"Just got a boat that has a 1988 Force 85 on it. The top end was replaced in 2002 because the guy sucked up something and it over heated and caused enough damage that they replaced it. The guy I got the boat from bought it new and it's in great shape. He told me they hadn't used it in about 3 years and didn't drain the gas. They took it out 2 weeks ago and used the old gas, the engine didn't run very good. So I bought it knowing it had bad fuel run though it.. I drained everything out, flushed with fresh gas mix, drained the carb bowls - the top 2 carbs had small springs in them - they looked a bit smaller than the ones that were on the adjustment screws - float stabilizers? Didn't put them back in. cleaned everything with carb cleaner, didn't see any gunk, cleaned the lines and pump filter. Plugs didn't look bad. Started and idled fine at home. Went to the lake. Wouldn't start of course. Got it started but it would die when it went in gear. took the cover off and manually moved the linkage to get started. Using the throttle it would just go waaaaaaaa - didn't want to go, no back firing, just nothing. If we kept the throttle just past in gear so the timming advance lever didn't move and manually moved the linkage it would go a bit better for a bit then slowly die. Everything we tried did nothing. Getting good spark to all 3 cylinders, based on a timming light. Fuel looks good. Couldn't get the flywheel off, had a puller on it and was afraid it would break the flywheel. Battery voltage is 12.9 volts, still starts first turn over and purrs, but won't run.
Do I have to check the points? Or is there something else to check. Of course it ran great when they used it before they stored it.
thanks for any input."

"First thing we did after drai

"First thing we did after draining and putting in new gas was to take all the float bowls off, and clean everything, although nothing looked dirty or gummed up.
Maybe it's the fuel system. I'm not sure how it all works. It has a built in gas tank, squeezing the primer bulb, it sounds like something is sucking air, it never gets hard like it build up pressure. I pulled the take up tube and it didn't have any leaks, nothing looks like it's leaking from a line. Every so often gas burps out of the vent tube, while nothing is being done. What could be causing that??"

Have u tried a aux tank to see

Have u tried a aux tank to see if it runs better? That way u know for sure the fuel is clean and no blocks. check fuel pump

I'm with Jason on this. G

I'm with Jason on this. Get an aux tank and a new fuel line. If the bulb doesn't pump up - you don't have a closed system - air is getting in somewhere. Probably a good thing it won't run as you would be running lean and that can harm you cylinder walls.

Have you ckecked the primer bu

Have you ckecked the primer bulb?It has two valves in it.They keep the fuel going in the right direction.If they leak you will not get a propper prime.

"Replaced all the gas lines, p

"Replaced all the gas lines, primer bulb and filter and new plugs again. Still no difference. At the lake it blew a fuse and didn't have any power to the engine so I had to manually lift the engine up to insert the pin to trailer it. Now the lift looses pressure and the engine won't stay up.
I gave up on it and took it to a mechanic, actually he came and picked it up."

What would be considered a nor

What would be considered a normal amount of hours to trouble shoot and replace a trigger and stator and generally adjust the motor? Removing the flywheel wasn't an issue.

Back