Logo

Removing stern drive upper unit

stevp

"hey everyone, been at this pr

"hey everyone, been at this problem all day,5.8 cobra stern drive i am trying to remove the upper unit from housing, i drained all gear oil,postioned the drive in forward disconneted the battery, removed the 6 bolts holding the upper unit, removed pivot bar, took rubber mallot and banged around upper unit still will not seperate, i fear to much forse will crack the upper case $$, don't want that to happen, is there something else that i can do to seperate the unit, i have both the original manual and the seloc online manual nothing about non seperation problems,or am i not putting enough force? any thoughts be appricated."

"No need to be in neutral. It

"No need to be in neutral. It is most likely 'hanging' in the big O-rings. it has to be separated 'vertically'. Try to carefully 'twist' upper unit a bit, then use a pry-bar to lift at front and back of upper unit."

hook back up the rams and have

hook back up the rams and have someone hit the up button and be ready it will fall fast and hard

'hook back up the rams and

'hook back up the rams and have someone hit the up button and be ready it will fall fast and hard'.

And be sure to put a new shift rod at the order list!!

I take it the drive is off the boat??

Back