Logo

Sputtering like injector leak but itbs a gas motor

double_g

Contributing Member
"Howzit guys,

I have a Volv

"Howzit guys,

I have a Volvo Penta AQ131 1989. I did convert to electronic ignition. My boat has been running good, but lately it has been sputtering,bogging and inconsistent. Sometimes it runs good and sometimes not, like it's missing. It will even die out while idling in neutral in the water. Sometimes will restart and sometimes won't. I thought it might be a fuel problem, but I hooked up a seperate fuel tank with brand new gas and the problem was still there. When the boat is put in gear, it sounds like it has a diesel injector leak, but it's a gas solex carb. acts like it's miss fireing."

"Simple things first.

When

"Simple things first.

When it dies, put the throttle at 75% or higher and try to restart, but be prepared to crank it back quickly to neutral when it starts.

Make sure the ignition timing is correct, and verify that the gap between the electronic ignition module and the rotating magnets is as specified. Hopefully, your distributor shaft does not have a lot of play.

Check the ignition wires and connections in distributor cap and spark plugs. Also, make sure the distributor and cap contacts are not rusty.

If you have a spare coil, change it and see if the symptoms clear."

"Just jumping here el.I would

"Just jumping here el.I would like to verify something.If you have a rough idling engine and everything else is as per specs i.e.ignition timing points gap & balance carbs,but you have wear in your distributors shaft will changing to electronic ignition fix this problem."

"Stan, if a distributor is bad

"Stan, if a distributor is badly worn, I think that the best thing to do is to replace it with another one in good condition. This will give you an idea of what can happen when there is excessive wear in a distributor.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/distributor.htm

What electronic ignition will do for sure is eliminate many of the problems normally associated with points."

"oh,ok then,so if people have

"oh,ok then,so if people have problems with bad idle and stalling its not neccessary a "fix" to install electronic ignition.I have read that a lot of ways to fix up your idle problems and run smoother "get rid of you point" and install electrontic ignition but this may not be the case!It seems to me that they have to make sure their distributor is in top condition.If they purchase the electronic inginition and the problem still persists the the problem is with their distributor shaft.If the distrubitor shaft is worn the instalation of electronic ignition makes no differance then they are back to the same situation and wondering "What can I do next""

"Stan,

Any type of worn equ

"Stan,

Any type of worn equipment or components (not just distributors) that are no longer fit for use should be replaced, period. Having said that, a distributor with bushings or shaft so worn that it can no longer be used is not so common, and it should have been spotted by either the boat owner or mechanic when doing maintenance. If the distributor shaft busing is worn, they will end buying another distributor; but if they keep points and condenser, they will eventually face the usual problems that I have discussed many times and I am not going to debate again.

All in all, I believe that replacing points and condenser with electronic ignition is the way to go because they are relatively inexpensive and the results and performance do speak by themselves.

It is clear to me that you are a vehement defender of points and condensers, which are something outdated and no manufacturer has installed in new engines for many years. While you are entitled to your opinion, I remember that, on a previous thread, your rationale to keep using points was that if an electronic ignition kit fails when you are 16 miles out in the open you are toasted. With respect, it takes more science to adjust and make work a set of points than an electronic ignition kit, and the former are far more prone to failure. Furthermore, only a fool would go 16 miles out without any type of back-up power (a small outboard) or with some spare engine components. Here is the thread for reference.

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12487/282624.shtml

To respond to the last part of your question "What can I do next" if installing an electronic ignition kit makes no difference because the distributor shaft is worn, the answer is simple: get another distributor in good condition, throw away its points and condenser, install the electronic ignition kit you bought for the bad distributor, and enjoy boating.
wink.gif
"

"Thanks el, I will start with

"Thanks el, I will start with the basics and go from there. I did overhaul my motor last year and when I set the distributor it seemed pretty tight but I am not positive. My boat has been running good since and this problem just started occuring. When I did change to the electronic ignition I ordered the flame thrower coil also and everything was fine. I'm going to change part by part and see what happens. if I do fix it I will post what I found. I did order a brand new set of ignition wires and will install one at a time and then the coil wire. I also have a brand new boshe coil that I can put on to double check. El, what about carburator? would the float cause this or dirty jet?

Thanks, Barry G.
Haleiwa, Hawaii"

"Ok, I think it was the distri

"Ok, I think it was the distributor cap because had some carbon build up on the inside. I cleaned them and ran the motor for about an hour and it ran good. I also replaced the ignition wires and cleaned the plugs after I had ran it and seems to be ok. only thing now is, I can't get full throttle. might be the build up on the bottom of my boat since it is in the harbor. Thanks El. I guess now I have to go scrape my boat again."

"You are welcome, Barry. I&#39

"You are welcome, Barry. I'm glad you got your rig back in order
thumbs_up.gif
, but it is difficult to keep those darn barnacles away from your boat's hull in tropical waters, eh? Oh well, your boat was probably due for a bit of a scrub anyway.
biggrin.gif
"

Back