Logo

2001 Ocean Pro 90 wonbt start

Had boat 4 years. Runs great a

Had boat 4 years. Runs great always. Run every weekend. Last weekend would not start. Starter strong but no spark. Inspected ignition switch. Looks OK. Any simple fix or trouble shoot? Replaced fuel pump lat summer.

"Had same exact problem 3wks a

"Had same exact problem 3wks ago w/ my 98 - except that it started at the ramp and then wouldn't start a few hours later when we were miles away!! I had absolutely no spark when I got it home to diagnose. I replaced ign switch (my old one wouldn't kill when lanyard was pulled, so it was a hazard anyway) and that didn't help. I ended up tearing it down to find my stator was melting (had an idea it was that though b/c my tach was acting funny week before). So, maybe look into testing that?!?"

"Thanks, will have to look at

"Thanks, will have to look at that. Never tried taking lanyard off while it was running. Store in garage when not using and never gave me trouble before."

"Stator is a ring that has wir

"Stator is a ring that has wires wrapped around it. The flywheel has magnets on the inside of it and the flywheel surrounds the stator. As the flywheel spins, an electrical current is produced in the stator and in turn powers boat's ignition and charges the battery. It's purpose is basically the same as a vehicle's alternator. If you're not comfortable working on motors and don't have a service manual, I wouldn't recommend you try changing it yourself. It's also expensive, so try some tests first. Could be any number of things, so testing is important"

Thanks a lot!! I will check ig

Thanks a lot!! I will check ignition switch first. have to wait to the weekend. I live in St Pete and surrounded by Gulf and Bay so am dying to get back out! Motor has about 400 hours on it. I hope to run it for many more. 17 ft Cape Craft CC with 90 Hp is perfect and relatively efficient around here.

"Yeah, I'm in NE FL and ha

"Yeah, I'm in NE FL and have a 98 Johnson 90 on my 17' Hydra-Sports flats boat and although i wish I had more power, it is a good boat for my area"

"Is it the OIS ignition system

"Is it the OIS ignition system? I replaced my stator w/ a spare I had, but couldn't get my timing set right - I have the proper tool, but it wasn't syncing up right. I happened to have a spare optical sensor and put that in, and all is good - put about 15hrs on it since. Well, sorta. Still having tachometer issues - my spare stator didn't look that great either, so I just ordered a new one - found a deal I couldn't pass up.

Anyway, it could be many things - complicated motors. It obviously seems electrical. I have a factory manual - will look into it tomorrow night and see if it has any simple testing measures you can try."

"yes, it has OIS but that is b

"yes, it has OIS but that is beyond my expertise. I have a local shop I may just have to take it to. Funny you mention the tach. I have had strange action there. The lights all work properly, low oil warning, but the needle jumped around a bit a while ago. Now instead of starting at zero, the needle has fallen about 3,000 RPMS past zero. So at 4,000 real RPMS the needle is at about 1,000 RPMS. Don't know if this is related. Just figured the needle fell off it's thing."

Checked plugs for spark last n

Checked plugs for spark last night and not getting any. Battery fine and starter fine. Need to get on the water! Hope as simple as kill/ignition switch. How do I check this?

"Took it into the shop this mo

"Took it into the shop this morning. Turns out it was a optical sensor. When replaced, it fired right up. $111 part plus labor. had a couple other things done too while it was in. Back in the water tomorrow!! Thanks for all advice."

Back