Logo

NO SPARK 1974 JOHNSON 70HP

bambino

"MY MOTOR RUNS GREAT ALL MORNI

"MY MOTOR RUNS GREAT ALL MORNING GETTING TO FISHING SPOT YESTERDAY, SET ANCHOR FOR A WHILE AND WONT START. GOT HOME AND NO SPARK AT ALL ! ***** HOW DO I TEST SYSTEM TO SEE WHAT PART IS BAD ? ***** OR SHOULD I REPLACE SOMETHING LIKE POWER PACK OR ? HELP ... THE FISH ARE WAITING !"

"please dont use caps, it'

"please dont use caps, it's like yelling.

We are boaters so we under stand your frustration."

So does the engine turn over t

So does the engine turn over then you turn the key ?

How do you know it doesn't have spark? have you tested with a spark tester? or held the spark plug against the block with starting ?

Are the plugs wet? could be flooding causing the plugs not to spark.

Need a little more info of what you've done to test before we spend time thinking and typing. :)

"ok so i finally heard from a

"ok so i finally heard from a very excellent tech named MR. Reeves (who has marine shop on ebay in case you need a piston or whatever)anyway he told me to disconnect the black/yellow wire on motor and then check spark, and sure enough i got spark, so next i simply replaced key switch but still no spark. thats as far as i got. ? my guess is some kind of short in main wires somewhere between rhe motor and key ?"

"It's possible that the bl

"It's possible that the black/yellow wire may be shorting out in the large RED electrical connector at the engine (it happens). If so, rig a jumper wire on the black/yellow wire(s) to bypass that plug."

"I have a 1974 70hp with no sp

"I have a 1974 70hp with no spark. I did the spark plug check and no spark; proceeded to the charge coil test and it calls for a neon test light??? well i jimmy rigged a household volt test light and my light lite up like a christmas tree so i next performed the ignition switch test and still have no spark. I'm pretty sure its my powerpack, but to perform that test i used my jimmyrigged tester and got no light at all. Do my findings confir with anyone else who has got on this little merry-go-round (ingnition system troubleshooting)!!! any quidance would be greatly appreciated"

matt it sounds like we have th

matt it sounds like we have the same problem the next step is to check the powerpack itself. i did this test with a jimmy rigged home volt tester (the ones that light up) and i got no light so i have ordered a new powerpack and am waiting for it to get here.

"if u have no spark,..w/blk/ye

"if u have no spark,..w/blk/yell DISC,...the usual prob,..90%...is a bad pack....clean the coil grounds very well,prior to inst f new pack....if u find u have a bad pack,w/1 or 2 cyl's down...repl...those coils ,along with...the new pack...!"

where the spark plug wire plug

where the spark plug wire plugs in to those little metal spkies if there rusted then would this cause no spark even with disconnecting the blk/yell wire cause mine are rusted probably from the last owner not taking care of it cause i gave the oranger wires a little jolt of electricity and it started right up but then after that there was no spark again and there was none before i gave it a little jolt and is the power pack the box with the orange wires or is it a different part

matt the power pack is the box

matt the power pack is the box with approximately 8 wires attaching to it. and if they are rusted that can prvent any electtical current from reaching its intended target

matt i know it sounds elementa

matt i know it sounds elementary but make sure you don't have a kill switch for your motor. i had one near my guages on the consule. after i changed my power pack i still wasnt getting any spark; then i realized that my 2 year old daughter had un plugged the kill switch and as soon as i realized that i had full ignition and my motor is purring like a kitty again!!!!!

Back