Logo

1996 mercury saltwater oil sender

fishnchips

"Hi i have a 1996 mercury salt

"Hi i have a 1996 mercury saltwater 25" model 2 stroke
and wish to know how do i find out if i have a oil sender installed or not please.
i've looked at these parts online and can not find it s.n is mercury 115 25" s/n og405648 http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury_parts/360.cfm
and whats the normal fuel usage in liters per mile on these outboards please, as mine is like 30 or 40 NM per 22ltr tote tank is this normal?"

"I'll be damed thanks didn

"I'll be damed thanks didn't think about that lol
now how do i hook it up to a
Faria Marine Instruments, OIL PRESSURE GAUGE 80PSI No 12803.. i am pretty sure the wires from #15 are not used as i have some spare wires near the oil filler and i seam to think the wires that are free are used for trim etc. will look but if they are free how do i hook em up?"

"yerp 2 stroke fantastic engin

"yerp 2 stroke fantastic engine going to miss it when i upgrade to etec at xmax when santa drops me off the engine in my stocking
so anyway how do i hook up any oil pressure gauge? please."

anyone know i rang the mechs a

anyone know i rang the mechs and they said cause its not 4stroke it dont need one. is this correct?

"That's correct. The oil s

"That's correct. The oil sensor on a 2 stroke is there to tell you when the (under the hood) oil tank is getting low - serves no other function - don't even tell you if the system is working or not.

There is no real oil pressure to measure. It's gravity fed to the pump which meters and pumps it to be mixed with the gas.

My only point of confusion is why you are going with an ETEC when there are Opti's out there. In head to head tests the Opti's outperform the ETEC in just about any way you want to measure (and I own two OMC's so I'm not totally biased to Merc - in fact if I was looking at a DFI, I would seriously consider a Tohatsu - they share technology with Merc and build a number of Merc's 4 stroke motors).

The ETEC's do however, have a much smaller profile (look like a dwarf compared to the powerhead on an Opti), but like the Yami's, use a very high pressure injection system (ficht style) and for me, all that pressure on the rails has got to make something give in the longer term..."

"Thanks for the reply..will th

"Thanks for the reply..will the horn sound when oil is low? then again i wont go out even if the oil is low anyway.
well the hype of the etec's has sorta almost kinda sold me. but to be honest i haven't really looked at
opti's at all. Santa will have some thinking thats for sure before Christmas. will look at optimax engines before i trade mine in because you are correct why etec's..
i never thought of optimax
cheers for the tip"

"I believe the 96's had th

"I believe the 96's had the basic warning system (pre-guardian system).

A low oil condition should give you intermitent beeps (beep beep beep),

An overheat will give you a continous beep (beeeeeeeeeeeeeep).

And would definately look at the opti's - have seen the 115's list for a touch over 7K with a 115 ETEC listing at about 8K - so very similar prices...."

"cheers for the beeps, thank g

"cheers for the beeps, thank goodness no beeps ever happend i'll end up paying 10k after trade in.
now one thing has me puzzled. under run in
they said " for the first two hours we recommend avoiding extended periods of idle or wide-open throttle, or holding the engine at one speed for extended periods of time. New two-stroke engines require additional oil during break-in "
how can i run it in if im not allowed to idleing or 60% 80% throttle i never use WOT, as i have to travel 10k's to get to the billfish grounds i have to use one speed for like 15 or 20 minutes or so will this stuff up the engine as it said from above? i troll at 7knts for upto 2hrs mabey more if i have more fuel. or do i just get the engine dealer to run the engine in them selfs?"

Back