Logo

Engine shuts off

the_oats

"We have a 1989,175 h.p. Johns

"We have a 1989,175 h.p. Johnson outboard. Ever since we bought our boat,2years ago, we have a problem on the cold start. We get the engine started but can't put the throttle down and put it in gear for awhile. It will konk out when we try. This is sometimes 30 mins. It idles kind of rough while we are waiting. Once we hear a click sound coming from the motor, the rpms go up and then we know we can put the throttle down, put it in gear and go. This only happens on cold starts. My husband changed the fuel bulb and lines one weekend and it was fine for that weekend so we thought we solved the problem but the next weekend it started all over again. He also checked the spark plugs. No one can seem to figure it out. HELP!!!"

"You hear a click sound?
Just

"You hear a click sound?
Just one click? Or does it start regularly clicking? At idle like maybe every 15 secs or so...

See if you can tell if the fuel pump, the VRO pump, is clicking at immediate start up. It should click regularly while running.

If you hear no clicks, and then after the waiting period, it starts clicking...you have got a bad fuel pump, or a bad pulse line that drives the pump.

By the way, that is one odd problem you have there..."

We hear 1 click. My husband do

We hear 1 click. My husband doesn't think it's the fuel pump because we don't have any problems after the cold start. When it's warmed up it's fine. He's thinking it's the solenoid. Do you think that could be it?

"Your problem is not the start

"Your problem is not the starter solenoid.
Maybe that click is coming from the primer solenoid, sticking open for a while, and then releasing with a click.
Go to the motor with the engine off, turn key to ON position, and depress the key. Is that the same click? Release the key. Did it click closed immediately?

Above...the fuel pump clicks when the engine is running.
Please verify that just as soon as you get it started, that you hear the fuel pump clicking regularly.

Take that engine cover off, and listen carefully to find out what is clicking.
You might have to use a long screwdriver as a makeshift stethoscope."

"Try rapping the body of the p

"Try rapping the body of the primer solenoid with the handle of a screwdriver when the engine is acting up.
If you can tap it, cause the click, and then all is good, then the issue is with the primer solenoid."

One of the most ridiculous ide

One of the most ridiculous idea ever in my books ..Please post some feedback so fools like me can learn per Doug the genius !

"this ,..is gettin good!....my

"this ,..is gettin good!....my opinions are,...as usual,....when was the last time,u had it pro tuned up,.. just looking at it,...many can find prob, easily,..bad,throttle rlrs,cracked coils,arcing wires,bad wires...clean carbs...all of this,come into play....WTR..in fuel???"

"My messages aren't showin

"My messages aren't showing up? I'll try again, here goes. My husband changed the primer solenoid on dry land. Started the boat up, worked fine. YEAH! We found the problem. Put it in the water, and started it up and NOOO, couldn't put the throttle down and put it in gear for 30 mins. Put a water separator fuel filter on. drove it out,(it still couldn't go in gear right away) and my husband said I think it's running better then it ever did but then all of a sudden it started to accelerate and decelerate as we were driving. We also noticed the bulb wasn't staying hard at all, so he changed the ball. This didn't help. The ball still doesn't stay firm and we hear a sqoosh sound coming from the holding area every time we squeeze the ball. The only way we could drive it that day was to have my son give it CPR and continuously squeeze the ball while my husband was driving. So, it's out of the water, until we try something else. My husbands going to try and hook a portable gas tank up and see if it works. We are probably going to take it to a repair shop at the end of the season."

Back