Logo

One engine 10 degrees hotter

"So it is real...I'd say y

"So it is real...I'd say you can run with it and keep an eye on it or keep on troubleshooting.

If you opt for the latter, I'd start with a flow test - see if both raw water pumps' outputs are similar. Since you changed the impellers, I'd give the housing, cover plate, and cam a good inspection if the flows are different."

"RM:

After re-reading your

"RM:

After re-reading your post, I now see where you already measured it with a temp gun. (Doh on me!) But I do not see that you changed out the thermostat (unless I missed that too).

The t-stat is what maintains the engine temperature and, unless there's a bunch of coolant bypassing it (rotted housing or ??), then that is got to be the problem.

Jeff"

""Backflushing" the oi

""Backflushing" the oil cooler with water is not going to clean out the attached zinc residue, which these oil coolers are widely known to induce. If original, and used in salt water, these are due for replacement. If at mid life, you could open it up and look for this solid debris."

"I had the overheating problem

"I had the overheating problem on my port side with 350's (1997 vintage) even after replacing all raw water cooling system components. However, I wouldn't overheat unless I got up to 3500 rpm's. Then it was 3400, then it was 3200. Replaced oil cooler and they now run the same and no overheating. Will replace starboard cooler this winter."

Is the 172-175 temp at 3000rpm

Is the 172-175 temp at 3000rpm to hot for a FWC motor?

Was going to try backflushing cooler again and see if made any diff. The pump is actually new on this motor last year.

"I see 165 to 170 at the therm

"I see 165 to 170 at the thermo housing at 3200 cruise. You are not out of bed on temperature, but a real difference between engines at cruise may indicate an issue that could progress. Some folks have apparently used an acid solution thru the cooler, maybe even without dissassembly."

Is your cooler running engine

Is your cooler running engine hooked up to a hot water heater? My starboard engine is hooked up to my hot water heater and runs about ten degrees cooler than my port engine. I believe that is a pretty common thing.

"Interesting, mine is exactly

"Interesting, mine is exactly opposite. My hotter (STDB: 182F) engine is connected to the water tank. The port engine runs about 10 degrees cooler."

"FYI - my tank was on my Port

"FYI - my tank was on my Port side as well so I thought it might have something to do with it, as well (remember 1997 vintage). Mechanic said "nope - unless it's blocked wouldn't have anything to do with it". He was right - both engines run the same temps after replacing the cooler."

Back