Logo

Starter bolt on 43 ltr 432A

roncon

"My starter will not engage,up

"My starter will not engage,upon checking I find that a bolt holding the starter to the engine has sheared off. Any suggestions on how I can remove the old stud?
Is this a common problem with this engine or what could have caused this?
thanks in advance."

"I should have added, found th

"I should have added, found the broken bolt in the bilge,it looks like it sheared off at the block of the engine.It is the inside bolt. The starter gear is not meshing with the flywheel due to the starter misalignment.
Do I have to remove engine to get at this bolt or is there an easier way?
thanks"

What caused this... my guess i

What caused this... my guess is that this starter was replaced at some time in the past and the "mechanic" either over torqued the bolt and broke it or cross threaded it and broke it.

Remove the starter... see if any of the broken bolt is sticking out of the block.
There are broken bolt extractors available. You may get lucky.

"Thanks, bolt broken at block.

"Thanks, bolt broken at block.
Do I have to remove engine to drill hole in bolt and use bolt extractor or??? ideas?????
thks again"

"Ron,
Just had the same on a

"Ron,
Just had the same on a 5.7. It sheared both bolts. We had to pull the engine and spent hours trying to get them drilled out. One came out easy, the other we drilled and redrilled and redrilled for hours before it came loose. It was a nightmare. The starter had been replaced before maybe it was over torqued but the guy at my marina said it was a common problem. Good luck"

RE: "Do I have to remove e

RE: "Do I have to remove engine "

It depends on how much room you have.... if you can get in there with a drill you can do it in place... There are right angle adapters for drills that help you get into tight places.
It won't be pleasant.

"I have been able to remove th

"I have been able to remove the broken bolt and reinstalled the starter. I would like to share how I did it.
I cut off a 2 inch pc of the threaded end of the undamaged bolt and drilled a pilot hole through the centre of it. I then was able to start the thread into the hole with the broken bolt. As suggested, I used a right angle air drill and using the pilot hole in the small pc of bolt, drilled into the broken bolt. I then used an easy out to remove the broken pc.I had considered "Crazy gluing" the small pc with the pilot hole to the broken pc in the casing but didn't have to go that far. It was not a pleasant job but eliminated removing the engine. Hope this helps someone else."

RE:"I cut off a 2 inch pc

RE:"I cut off a 2 inch pc of the threaded end of the undamaged bolt and drilled a pilot hole through the centre of it"

Clever!!!!

Wow! Great idea.

Some of th

Wow! Great idea.

Some of those bolts can be a b*tch to drill out.

Any suggestions on what drill bit/size worked well?

"Hi, I used an 1/8" for th

"Hi, I used an 1/8" for the pilot hole and a 7/64" to drill through the hole and into the bolt. As the drilling was virtually "blind" the 7/64 did wander a bit but the pilot hole kept the alignment close.
If the technique were to be used on a larger bolt then the drill size could be increased I suppose.
Trial and error, in this case I was fortunate there was no error. Hope it helps"

Back