Logo

1957 chris craft with GM 250 inline 6 cooling question

david_z

I just had the engine rebuilt

I just had the engine rebuilt (about 1970 version)and when running the engine it built up so much pressure the lower tank (fresh water tank of the heat transfer system) blew off the welded end of the tank. Can anyone provide a diagram of how I could re-plumb this engine and do away with the heat transfer system and just go with a raw fresh water system?

It should not have done that..

It should not have done that... Find the source of that problem before you start to re-engineer the boat. Was the "radiator cap" on the heat exchanger the correct PSI??? Marine ones usually run at just a few PSI ( approx 4 psi).

"I found the source....the exh

"I found the source....the exhaust riser is corroded and is not letting enough water out. I can get a replacement of the Barr exhuast riser, but the Barr manifold that it is mounted to is nolonger in production so I am trying to remove the adapter plate from the exhaust riser so I can then bolt the new riser on the old manifold. Once that is done I can then proceed with the project to convert to a raw fresh water system and do away with the heat transferstyle system."

"Did the engine overheat befor

"Did the engine overheat before the heat exhanger blew?
It is unlikely that the reduced water flow at the elbow caused the heat exchanger to let go if the heat exchanger was in OK condition previous to the "event".

"heat transfer" systems as you call it have substantial advantages, especially if the boat is run in salt water."

Back