Logo

MC 43L V6 starts fine then dies after 5%7e10 seconds

bhuffman

"First time out for the year,

"First time out for the year, was supposed to have been "professionally" winterized last winter.

New oil & filter, new gas filter, fresh gas and the gas that was in there had stabilizer in it.

Boat starts fine and revs high but quickly dies like it's running out of gas, I'm guessing floats stuck. Also backfires some times as it dies. Anything I can do besides tow it to a mechanic? If it's not the floats then what?"

"Sorry, thought my profile wou

"Sorry, thought my profile would show.

1993 4.3 L V6 Alpha One with carbs,

Have tried spraying in some carb cleaner as it runs with no success so far. Sprayed some in and am letting it sit for a few minutes right now."

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
290012.jpg
The carb

The picture shows the choke wi

The picture shows the choke wide open. Is the engine cold or warm? Did you change the fuel pump filter or the carb screen?

"Choke just stays that way, no

"Choke just stays that way, no manual setting, the motor is cold.

Did not change the screen or fuel pump filter.

I think this is getting beyond my mechanical knowledge, was hoping for a quick fix since I had nephews coming for the weekend. It's going into the shop where the job can be done correctly.

Thanks for the help though."

"Bob. What was the solution? O

"Bob. What was the solution? Once you put the throttler lever forward with a cold engine, that choke plate should close. It that wasn't the case, choke or linkage problems. The actual problem solution is what helps the rest of us when we encounter similar problems.
Thanks.
Bob."

"Well, I don't know yet bu

"Well, I don't know yet but the mechanic is supposed to let me know what he does and why it may have happened. I'll pass it along as soon as I know but it may be a week or more.

Thanks for asking."

"I experienced this problem.

"I experienced this problem. After checking with a local marine mechanic, I replaced the oil pressure safety sensor (located just above the oil filter) and the water safety sensor (located on top of water return line). This cured the problem."

"I am having the same problem.

"I am having the same problem. I have a Capri 2050SS with a Mercruiser 5.7 engine. I have water hooked up. Is water supposed to come out alot around the prop or not? Mine doesn't. Can anyone explain how these safety sensors work? Thanks, Ted"

"Ted:

Not much water comes

"Ted:

Not much water comes out with the prop exhaust. There are two water outlets at the base of the OD where most water exits.

The sensors are all tied to the alarm. If the engine loses oil pressure, overheats or loses OD oil below the detector then it turns on the alarm."

Back