Logo

Honda BF 30 No High speed

zetor

"Hello, I have problem with my

"Hello, I have problem with my Honda BF 30 2005. Idle speed and up to 4000 rpm it is ok but it would not give the last kick to get up the boat.
Boat and prop, everything is the same as before.
Do I need to clean the carburators?
It will also be gas in the oil, problem with the fuel pump?
When engine run idle, I can´t hear any different if I disconnect the sparkplughat of the middle cylinder, is that normally?
When I chek the sparkplug of middle cylinder it will give ignition.
Anyone that have an idea where to find the last kick as it was before?
Sorry for my bad english, my normally language is swedish.

Best regards
Tage W."

"If you pulled each spark plug

"If you pulled each spark plug and there was no change in the middle cylinder,your middle carburator is not working correctly. One other test you can do is disconnect the plastic linkage that moves when you activate the choke. While running the engine, manually activate the choke lever on the middle carburator. If the engine runs faster, the middle carburator needs cleaning. While you are at it, you should clean all of the carburators. It one needs cleaning the others are not far behind.

Good luck!"

"Thanks Mike, but there are th

"Thanks Mike, but there are the electric type of choke. The enginge seems to be working ok when it comes up to working temperature.
When I run at about 2000 rpm I can hear the third cylinder is coming up, first temporary on and off but after a while it comes up and the engine is running properly.

Best regards
Tage W."

"Sorry about the choke mistake

"Sorry about the choke mistake...

I must not have read your original question thoroughly. It appears that your middle cylinder is at least part of the problem.

Have you checked the spark plugs? Sometimes changing them solves a lot of problems. The on and off could be a bad plug. Only use NGK DR7EA. It also could be the carburators transitioning from one stage that does work to one that does.

If the spark plugs do not fix the problem, more than likely, one of the passages in the carb is blocked. It sounds like, it may be time for a good cleaning.

It would be good to check compression before you get into the carbs to be sure that there are no major problem with the cylinders.

If you pull the whole bank off at the same time, check the hoses on the back of the bank for kinks or splits. If one of the vacuum hoses are split, it can affect engine performance.
If you are going to have a dealer do it and you have been having any trouble starting and the white enrichener on the top of the carbs has a number DE"XXX or "DR"XXX, ask them about Service Bulletin #60 (addresses hard to start). If you are still under warranty, the bulletin will be done at no charge. If out of warranty, they will have to check with Honda for goodwill consideration. This could reduce the cost of a carb job.

The carbs should be vacuum balanced when finished. Balancing is included in the Service Bulletin.

I highly recommend buying a manual for this model from Honda if you are going to do the work yourself. There are a lot a small hoses on the front and rear. They are easy to mix up without good pictures. At least take several photos as you take them apart.

I do not know if your model is in the Clymer or Seloc Manuals. You have a 30D model. The year you purchased yours was the second year of production for this design."

what does it cost to have carb

what does it cost to have carbs rbuilt on honda 30BF? Cleaned with seafoam and gum out still has low power. removing middle plug makes no change.
I have had Space Coast Honda work on it but those jerks just took my money and told me to remove my skeg proctector. I cangt get it up over 2800 rpm and it stalls when I advance the throtle to fast. Help

"The cost will vary from shop

"The cost will vary from shop to shop dependent on their labor rate and how complete of a job they do. Most of the time if the carbs are really bad, the spark plugs may be fouled and the oil may be saturated with fuel. These should be be changed.

The parts for a complete carb job alone run about $200. This is assuming the valve set, intake manifold and muffler gaskets,o ring set, idle jets (which tend to crack on the older carbs), and base gaskets are all changed. Some people reuse a lot of these parts. We feel, why take chances when you have everything apart.
Once the carbs are off and in an ultrasonic cleaner, the intake manifold and other gaskets need to be cleaned off.
The hoses...especially the ones behind the carbs may be getting brittle and should be changed. The entire fuel system should be flushed for debris.

Once the carbs are reassembled and put back onto the motor, they need to be adjusted and vacuum balanced. This may take from 15 minutes to 30 minutes or more to do correctly. The motor must be at operating temperature to do correctly.
If your dealer does not have the equipment to test the motor under load, they should at least take it to the water and back in the water to test under load and to check the idle and temperature of the motor. Ideally a test ride is appropriate if the customer is complaining of not attaining certain rpm's. How else to know for sure that you found the whole problem?

So you are talking several hours of work. I usually quote about 4 1/2 hours. Some take less...some take more.

So if you do the math of approx $200 for parts plus 4.5hr x $90/hr it is over $600 plus tax not including any analysis time or other things that may need to be done."

Back