Logo

Volvo Penta 43 GL wonbt start

"Last weekend, my boat started

"Last weekend, my boat started to overheat while out on the lake. In order to avoid engine damage, I shut her off and was towed back to shore. The overheating was due to a disintegrated impeller. I replaced the impeller with a new one, and thought all my problems were gone. I was wrong, I tried starting up the motor and she turns over just as strong as she always has in the past the problem is she will not fire up. The only time she fires up and runs for a short time is when I pour some fuel down the carburetor. (If you ever done this with a car, you know what I mean.)It is here where I am confused, I shut her down while onthe lake when I noiced the temp guage showed 200 degrees. I know that the engine is not damaged because she runs with fuel pour down the carb. Is there some kind of safey switch or circuit breaker that is activated when the engine gets too hot? Where and how do I reset this? I would really appreciate any suggestions or advice that would get us back in the water. Thank you!!

Sincerely, Nelly"

"Does the engine have an elect

"Does the engine have an electric pump? If so, it may not be running and the carb may not have any fuel inside the bowl."

"El_Pescador, thank you for yo

"El_Pescador, thank you for your response. Yes, it does have an electric pump. Is there any kind of safety circuit breaker that may have activated to shut off the electric fuel pump in order to keep my engine from damage due to over heating? I shut down the motor when it showed signs of over heating. Do you suppose it is a coincidence that the fuel pump doesn't work now? Could there be some sort of ciruit breaker or relay that I can check? I bought a repair manual for this type and year motor, but, I'm a bit heisitant because the section of over heating problems, it list everything but the impeller. You would think that would be one if not the first thing they should have mention about the cause of over heating. Again, thank you for your help."

"I just found out that, at lea

"I just found out that, at least on my chapparal with a 4.3GL there is a circuit breaker that may trip under overheat condition. In my case, having run aground in Islamorada (the fla keys), I had an overheat, a stall, and no start thereafter. While waiting for a tow, I started pushing the circuit breaker "nipples" behind the instrument panel. One clicked and I was able to make the best call u can make "cancel that tow.""

Back