Logo

My belt blewWhat should I check for

nishjg

"I have a merc 140 and today m

"I have a merc 140 and today my belt blew while I was out. I didn't hear anything and only noticed it when I was almost at the dock, I noticed that my volt meter was down to 11 volts. My temp guage is not working. How long would the engine run with out the water pump, pumping?? The engine didn't seem too hot when I checked it on the dock...hopefully it's ok. What else should I check for? And how hard is it to install a new belt. Looks like a couple of bolts."

""How long would the engin

""How long would the engine run with out the water pump, pumping??"

Until the engine seizes. The impeller was pushing water into the T'stat hsg. and some went into the block by convection when the T'stat opened and some out the exhaust.

On your engine I believe you have to remove the bolts on the engine mount BASE, not the alignment nuts. Support the engine, remove the base bolts and raise the block enough to slip two belts past the mount. Reconnect the mount, connect one belt and secure the other belt out of the way for use when the next belt breaks."

"Ok, I seen the two bolts unde

"Ok, I seen the two bolts underneath the or close to the alternator, which looks like a part of the mount can be removed to install new belts. What kind of support do I need? I would think that that engine is pretty heavy.... Thanks for the info Guy!"

I've used a small hydrauli

I've used a small hydraulic jack w/a 2"x4" under it to hold up the side of a V-6. You want to lift on engine mount support or the block in a solid location.

Back