Logo

Volvo penta 43L engine 1BPS fuel starved after run

"Here is my problem.I have a V

"Here is my problem.I have a Volvo penta 6cyl engine#431b/ps.Engine temp is running at 150 and she is full of fresh oil.I can start and run it for 45 min at various speeds and it runs fine.It is when I stop for a few and then try to take off she dies.Its like she is fuel starved after the inital prime.The temp is still at 150.It will start again very easy and go 30 yards and die.I thought I had h20 in the fuel sep filter so I took it off and draind it and no h20.I checked the filter in the carb and it was clear.I let it cool down for a few hours then it would start right back up and run fine at 150 temp.I was told this boat has a oil pressure safty switch that shuts down the motor? It has a electric fuel pump located on the left side of the emgine,do you think it bad? I am at a loss and need some direction.Thanks,Jeff"

"Ihave ordered a new fuel pump

"Ihave ordered a new fuel pump because I don't know what else it could be.Anabobdy have something for me? I am at a loss and want to use the boat while the temp is in the 100's We don't get mutch hot weather here and our season is getting shorter.Thanks for any response,I am willing to try anything other than sitting in the boat and swimming and going 30 yards at a time.She has been a good boat till this and it my boat guy is booked till the end of August and that is when our boating season comes to the ending point.Thanks again Jeff"

"I put on a new fuel pump and

"I put on a new fuel pump and took the boat to a repair person.He told me that my boat does not have the oil sensor switch.I thought I had fixed my problems because I have went from the tank to the carb and no h20 or blockage.I took it down to the river and ran it for a half hour.I brought it up to temp then turned it off and waited.It started fine and ran at various rpms.I could not take it out on the river because of depth issues.I took the boat up to the lake the other day and she started and ran fine.After I was out of the 5mph I started to plane out and she died again?It will start right back up and run at idle but when you start to put a load on the engine it just dies.I called the repair guy and he said the the carb could have some debris in it? The carb is a quadrajet 4 barrel and I don't think it has ever been rebuilt? He also said it could be the ignition harnness? I don't know why since she runs ok without the load.Any ideas.Thanks,Jeff"

"Jeff, I think you are answeri

"Jeff, I think you are answering your own questions. The two main components of the fuel system are the fuel pump and the carb, and you just replaced the pump. Rebuilding a quadrajet is not excessively complicated, but then you have to go through a number of adjustments, all of them well-explained in the Seloc repair manual. If you don't know the condition of the carb, you may want to start removing the fuel pipe and check the fine fuel strainer. Then, regardless of its condition, I would get a rebuilding kit and overhaul the carb, even if just for peace of mind."

I will do the carb rebuild sin

I will do the carb rebuild since it is a 1992 with 255 hours on it.I did check the filter going into the carb and it was clean.I also put stabil in the gas each time I fill just for piece of mind.I was told that the gas at the docks has lots of water in it.Thanks again and will let you know the outcome.Jeff

Back