Logo

40hp mariner runs great out of water

mibugnu

"I recently acquired a 1989 2

"I recently acquired a 1989 20' pontoon boat with a 40hp Mariner (40ELTO 6E9 L 500783) which my guess is that it is a 1988-89, yamaha made for merc. The oil injection system, surprisingly, worked right up to the time I removed it and threw it in the trash. Here is the delema I am having...When the motor is running, out of gear, I can hit the throttle and the motor "raps" out like it should (tach not working yet, but I would guess in the 5000 rpm range). In gear, (in the river) WOT is maybe 1500-1700rpm. Other than the interior stuff and me there is no other added weight to the boat. The prop that is on it now is a 48-73132a40, which translates (I think) to a 11 1/4 - 10" pitch, a few of the prop calculators out on the net suggest a 10 7/8 X 11. Which I think will probably put me in about the same place I am now... Smaller prop spins faster, but more pitch slows it back down = same rpm range/speed (maybe 8mph). In your opinion does this sound like I'm on the right track?

Also, the motor runs great...no sputtering/missing while underway, plus the great throttle response while not in gear tends to push me away from an engine issue.

I haven't been able to find any info on this motor like manufactures suggested WOT on the net (guessing around 5000). Any help there would also be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks to you if you can be any help!"

"I'm positive that it is r

"I'm positive that it is running on 2 cylinders, at least when it's not in gear. My guess, if a 2 cylinder engine was running on only 1 cylinder at 4000-5000rpm it would most likely shake all of the cowling and paint off the engine. I don't know of anything on the motor that would trigger one cylinder on and off when the motor is shifted in and out of gear. It runs great, excellent throttle response out of gear....crank the throttle linkage, motor runs like a scalded dog. Put it in gear and do the same thing, motor tops out at about 1500-1700 rpm. Runs great both ways, no sputtering, backfiring, hickups, just purrs, but no rpm's. Throttle linkage on the motor travels the same distance either way (timing advance also).

I will be taking the boat back out on Friday with a GPS to get true MPH, my guess is that it should top out around 20mph. Anyone out there with a 20' old school pontoon boat with a 40 horse that could let me know what they're top mph is would be helpful. Thanks"

"Compression good? Carbs clean

"Compression good? Carbs clean? Fresh juice? Mix right?

Motors don't like to be revved high on the muffs, avoid that one ASAP..."

Back