Logo

Boat Wont Plane

boatbrain

"18' Thompson bowrider ,&#

"18' Thompson bowrider ,(3.0 LX A1 Gen 2) Just rebuilt the Boat Stringers floor,transom,tuned the motor installed Transom Kit(all bellows Gimble Bearing)Motor With Ears On runs Like a champ goes into gear's fine.
OK now we get the boat in the water starts fine idle out beyond the no wake zone .
OK we start to Open her up. stern drops in the water bow up in the air and seems like we slowed down ,tach in at about 4 grand and then is just making a nasty wake and not going anywhere
we let off the gas and the boat levels out .
.boat has the stock prop (i think) 19 Pitch
.compression test show 140+ for each cylinder
.checked all the oils in outdrive and motor and all good as they should be i think
Looking for help to fix this problem
Thank you for all advice }
."

"Ohh Yeah Forgot to metion Tha

"Ohh Yeah Forgot to metion That we Tried Trim at all the safe ranges in the water ,started from lowest to the highest ..Yep will have to try another prop i suppose ...just looking for a clue on which Pitch to try dont want to buy 6 wrong props :)"

Borrow a 15 pitch and see what

Borrow a 15 pitch and see what difference it makes

If it works good then that is what you may need

if it is to aggressive then you would need a 17 pitch

"I'm running the same 3.0

"I'm running the same 3.0 and Alpha 1 on a 19 1/2' boat. I run a 14 1/4" x 21 pitch (at about 3600 rpm WOT) and a 14 1/2" x 19 pitch.(at about 4200 rpm WOT) Top speed is pushing about 45-49 MPH Depending on conditions. Either one gets me up on plane with no problem. And loaded with a full tank of gas and a few friends. Oh yeah and a cooler full of beer. If you're truly at 4000RPM with a 19 pitch you should hop up and out on plane. Could your prop hub be worn causing a free spin situation under load? I just had a similiar issue. Changed my prop hub and problem was solved. Yours could be the pressed in rubber insert or the Flo-Torque plastic insert. Could you have taken on water in your hull? Causing too much weight? Is your trim truly in the down position? That 19 pitch should work perfectly. Your situation sounds exacly what I just solved for myself. Mine is the Flo-Torque and to test it, I slid it out, wrapped one layer of Duct tape around it to snug it back in. With that my issues went away. So knowing that was just a temporary fix, I purchased the new hub for $25 and it's all better. I wouldn't reduce your pitch. You really shouldn't have any issue with the one you have as far as pitch goes. Look into the prop hub."

Hmm...OK cool
seems the trim

Hmm...OK cool
seems the trim is working correctly Rebuilt it
new limit and senders
Boat was striped and all replaced wood including the transom
motor in working well
Only thing i didnt rebuild
is the prop never touched it Looks to me
like i better pop off the prop check that HUB first thing Thank you
will let ya know what happens
i did however check to see if i could turn the prop by hand while motor off and in gear didnt budge ....bbut will take it off to look more closely
Thanks again

Mine wouldn't budge by han

Mine wouldn't budge by hand either. Torque in the water is far greater then you can apply by hand.

Good luck.

Jeremy:

"I run a 14 1/4

Jeremy:

"I run a 14 1/4" x 21 pitch (at about 3600 rpm WOT)"

The engine is lugging @ 3600 RPMs WOT. Asking for trouble w/it. Trade it for a 18P 4 blade for some real S&G'in.

"Thanks Guy. As always your ex

"Thanks Guy. As always your experience, advice, knowledge is appreciated. "The Engine is lugging" is exactly what I had thought originally, and why I pitched down. It still baffles my mind wondering why the Manufactures recommendations was the exact 21 pitch prop I have. And still use if i'm just cruising around nice and easy. (better fuel economy) I couldn't believe the improvement pitching down to the 19. Not only a MUCH quicker hole shot, but a much improved top end speed, once the engine was able to reach it's optimum rpm range. At least a 5-8MPH improvment, and the handling now is fantastic. Well as fantastic as I can expect from my 19 1/2 Bayliner "value" boat. I would love to upgrade to a 18p 4blade. Too bad I'm on the lake every chance I have, when I should be picking up a few side jobs to pay for it. Winter is coming, and in Michigan where the lakes are froze over longer then they're in the desirable liquid state, I'll have plenty of time off the lake to find ways to pay for my next performance up grade. Of course I'll have to fit that in between ice fishing, snowmobiling and hunting, but I'm sure I'll work it out. Good thing drinking beer is a 4 season activity. And sadly we can already feel fall quickly approaching. The 18P 4 blade is certainly going to be my next purchase."

"Thrust Hub or Prop Hub is my

"Thrust Hub or Prop Hub is my question ?
289898.jpg
"

"Yes prop hub, and I can't

"Yes prop hub, and I can't see it in the pic. It doesn't appear you have the Flo-Torque. It's the pressed in Rubber hub type. Which is unfortunate because you can't do my Duct tape test."

"Jeremy. What elevation are yo

"Jeremy. What elevation are you at? Most manufacturers test their boats at sea level, and prop them accordingly. They recommend dropping two pitches for every 3000' elevation gain. I purchased a boat with a 21P (running at sea level), and had to drop it to a 17P 4 blade at 3400 feet. What a difference! Even when I return to the Coast, I stay with the 17. Great performance without paying a large fuel penalty."

"I'm only at 600'-800&

"I'm only at 600'-800' above. I'm going to pitch down slightly on my next one, and upgrade to the 4 blade based on Guys' recommendation. I expect an awesome improvement. But, with the Michigan summer quickly coming to a close, it'll have to wait until our next sweet yet oh so short boating season."

"nope dont think so every piec

"nope dont think so every piece of wood was resined and glassed out of boat then again when installed, pretty much water tight((better then the factory )) tight..(i live in Florida so i have time boating season basicly last all year long
"

"A stock alum prop won't c

"A stock alum prop won't come with a sacrificial hub, only the stainless props. Just trying another prop will tell you if you spun your prop out. See if you can borrow one for a test run."

"[b]Ok well fot a 17P prop got

"Ok well fot a 17P prop got that today

Put it on the boat ,and low and behold
GPS Speed 47 mph @4400 rpm
Guess the other 19p prop was junk i will now have that reworked for a spare THank You all for the Help. Now i can finish the interior rebuild
Ohh and the exaust bellows popped off while testing No big deal tho... planes out in about 4 seconds and the prop wash is clean
"

Back