Logo

50 hp need help with adjusting cable

jackstand

"OK ! I have a 1970 50 merc s

"OK ! I have a 1970 50 merc ser #2742113. To make a long story short the boat guy here has alreay got me for all my wife will allow so I have to fix myself.. I brought this motor that he sold me for $1200 last weekend . took boat out no alot of water coming out, so I figured mabey he didnt change the pro-peller well when I took it a part I had help.. I said dont turn nothing well he spun the rod to help the new propeller go in the housing.. Now when I start up in netural the prop spins .I have no Idea how to fix can some one please help...Thanks in advance."

"I've been researching for

"I've been researching for 3 hr's is this correct? Remove the engine cowlings, remove the spark plugs. Shift the lower unit into neutral with the splined shaft in the front of the gearcase. Turn the propeller by hand to make sure it is in neutral and spins freely. Shift the control into neutral. Push the lower unit into place making sure the water guide tube and the water tube in the midsection align.
Watch the upper and lower shift shafts and make sure they align. Continue pushing up and bolt the lower unit into place. You may have to turn the flywheel clockwise to align the splines on the driveshaft and crankshaft. Shift the control into forward while someone truns the propeller It should grab abd stop in one direction, shift into neutral it should spin freely in both directions. Shift into reverse it should stop in both directions. If not then the shift shafts are not aligned properly or the linkages/ control cable is not adjusted properly."

"You paid $1200 for that? Yik

"You paid $1200 for that? Yikes.

Pull the lower unit only, put it and the shifter in neutral, then stab it back up. Be sure the watertube is in the hole in hte LU or it'll pump no water to the power head.

Jeff"

I tried turning the short shaf

I tried turning the short shaft (about two 1/2 in) to get the unit in netural as to no luck am I doing something wrong . I'm turing it a little at a time and spinning the prop as it seems engauged the same . Thanks Ron

Back