Logo

Volvo Penta 57L GL

jtanner739

"I have a 2003 Larson 330 Cabr

"I have a 2003 Larson 330 Cabrio with twin 5.7L GL Volvo's. We started having an intermitent overheating problem on the port engine at the end of last season. As it turns out we had an exhaust manifold crack that started letting exhaust gases and cooling water to mix. it finally cracked enough this year that I got water into the right bank of the cylinders. #5 cylinder was shot! To avoid dealing with headaches I went to Detroit and picked up a Brand New replacement Volvo Long Block. My marina installed the new Long block and now at 3000 rpms the engine is overheating. They are trying to blame a cavatations problem? I think they just screwed something up in setting up the engine. Any thoughts on this problem would be appreciated. They said the impeller is fine and gushing like niagra falls, yet still getting hot at 3000 rpms."

"It is a must to start with th

"It is a must to start with the sea water path from the pick-up all the way to the engine.
Check for any restrictions, internal de-lamination of suction hoses and/or hoses after the sea water pump. This is seldom considered when tracing out over-heating issues.
Did you also replace your exhaust risers?
."

"It was unlikely that the crac

"It was unlikely that the crack caused overheating in your original problem (if the engine was properly winterized the previous winter)... cracks are usualy not a primary failure mode, but rather the result of something else failing first. I'd guess that you may still have your original problem unsolved.
Follow Rick E's plan, above...

BTW.. re: "cavatations" as a cause. Apparently the marina learned a new word and is using it "at least once a day". Cavitation damage, when it occurs shows itsef as damage (pitting) on the props.

It is remotely possible that you have a problem with ventilation where the prop rotations are such that the engine water pickup is sucking air
on the overheating engine.
The quick test for this is to shut off the non overheating (or shift onto neutral) engine and if the problem engine cools right down, then you should switch the props (assuming they are set up as counter rotating props) between the two drives (taking care to reset the links in the drives...see owner's manual) and see if that fixes the problem."

"Well, you'll notice that

"Well, you'll notice that I suggested "water pick-ups", not intakes on out-drives.
The GL can be found in both I/B and I/O.

This is a 2003 Larson 330 (33 footer??) Cabrio with twin 5.7L GL Volvo's....... I assumed Inboards, correct? Or is this an I/O?"

thanks I will pass all this in

thanks I will pass all this information along. the Larson has I/O's. They removed the drive to remove and replace the engine. Could the drive have been put on out of spec to cause the ventilation problem?

"[b]Quote: "Could the driv

"Quote: "Could the drive have been put on out of spec to cause the ventilation problem?" Not sure what you are calling a "ventilation" problem!
In that he missed an O-ring, or critical water hose connection, Yes!

The exhaust riser sea water passages may be rusted badly and may be blocking water flow."

Robert responded about the Ven

Robert responded about the Ventilation problem! That's where I picked up that term.
Could the drive be put back on so far out of spec that it would cause the props to generate air bubbles that the water intake on the overheating engine is taking in thru the drives allowing the engine to build up heat?
I didnt have this problem prior to them setting the new block. The impeller is taking in water.
3000 RPMs and above is where the problem is coming into play.

OK the saga continues:
My Mar

OK the saga continues:
My Marine mechanic put clear PVC tubing from the drive all the way to the water pump. The drive is sucking in air at the water intake and that is what is causing the overheating. They have no solution and have told me today that they give up.

"RE: "told me today that t

"RE: "told me today that they give up"
That's very good news for you. Now you can find a mechanic that understands Volvos to work on your boat.
It's fairly simple (in concept at least)
But a question first... When you said.."from the drive all the way to the water pump." Was that tubing from the drive itself or from the fitting on the transom inside the boat?
In either case, there are two seals in that water path (correct me El or Rich if I miscounted) as well as an elbow that is prone to pinhole corrosion. Any of those parts failing could/would cause air in the water line."

"[b]Quote: "The drive is s

"Quote: "The drive is sucking in air <u><font size=""+1"">at the water intake</font></u> and that is what is causing the overheating."

Let's start with which drive Larson used on this 2003 boat! Most likely an SX or a DP S drive, correct?

If water/air are mixing at the intake grate in the lower unit, an impeller pump will still pull this mixture in. But the air has to some how be getting into this area from below the water line.
If the supply of air is greater than the supply of water, you will have no water flow.
There lies your puzzle, IMO.

If this is an air leak (spelled "suction leak") above the water line, that is going to cause a problem, I'd think!
I'm with Robert..... need to know how/where they connected this clear hose for their testing!!!!!

So for me, I'd need to first know which drive Larson used on this 03 boat and then where the hose was connected!

This should be a simple P of E.... (process of elimination) ... nothing more than that!
The ole P of E always works best if we examine one item ONLY at a time until the problem is discovered.

."

Twin Volvo 5.7 GL With DPX Dri

Twin Volvo 5.7 GL With DPX Drives.
I believe they connected clear PVC from the transom fitting to the engine. They are trying to blame it on cavitation from the hull. I agree I am done with the marina's mechanic and I am having a factory Volvo Certified Mechanic look into the problem. I have not had a problem in the past and I cant believe this happened all of a sudden. An air leak above the water line makes way more sense than air coming in from below the water line.

I am considering bying a boat

I am considering bying a boat with twin Volvo 5.7 OSXI XDP W/CWC
Can anyone tell me if hey are good engines and are reliable? How do they compare with the Mercruiser's? Thank you

Hobbie

Back