Logo

New Mercury 30HP 4 Stroke oil issues

dwhite1031

"I have 3 month old Tracker Pr

"I have 3 month old Tracker Pro 16 with a Mercury 30 HP EFI 4 stroke that has approximately 20 hrs on it. I noticed a small amount of engine oil on my garage floor & on the lower unit cowling & transom saver after I took delivery of the boat & outboard. I removed the dipstick to check the oil level & oil ran out of the dipstick hole, into the engine housing & out the drain holes. I called my dealer about it & was told to bring it in right away. They removed the engine cover, removed he dipstick with the same results & told me the tech that rigged the new boat had simply overfilled the outboard with oil, & this was not a problem with the outboard itself or the oil level. If it was overflowing there was sufficient oil in the engine.

Oil comes out of the dipstick hole every time I check the oil & there is also a strong fuel smell to the oil. Not a good thing to smell fuel in the oil is it?

Today, I checked the oil as usual & the oil level was more than sufficient. As I was leaving the boat ramp & beginning to throttle the engine to leave the launch it got on plane & then dropped to low rpm's & the low oil pressure alarm sounded & the oil alarm light came on.

I immediately went to neutral & shut the engine down. I was able to use my trolling motor to return to the ramp, where I winched the boat onto the trailer. Once loaded & out of the water, I removed the engine cover, pulled the dipstick, & oil ran out of the dipstick hole as usual. So why did the automatic low pressure system ramp her down to less than 2000 rpms (like it's supposed to under low oil pressure conditions) & the alarm/light come on? According to the dealer, there is plenty of oil in the engine if oil coming out of the dipstick hole.

This is new outboard! Obviously this is not normal."

Back