Logo

1988 volvo penta 4 cyl 16 valve blew timing belt

sclermon

"1988 volvo penta 4 cyl , 16 v

"1988 volvo penta 4 cyl , 16 valve,,,the timing belt blew causing major damage to 8 valves. had 0 compression to all 4 cyl. we Rebuilt the top end ,valves, gaskets, new timing belt put it all together started first shot went for a 45 minute ride and the belt blew. Im lost what on earth caused it to snap everything looked great someone help just lost tonnes of money??????"

"I would start by checking the

"I would start by checking the condition of all the timing gears (they should not be pitted), timing gear guides, and the belt tensioner."

"Steve,

I picked up my Volv

"Steve,

I picked up my Volvo boat at the marina from a customer that blew a timing belt, caused all kinds of damage,valve and piston mine is an AQ151B.

That's what Volvo's are famous for, blowing timing belts that wreak havoc, and cause damage.

I love my Volvo, but that's just what happens as the belts wear."

"Actually, damage should only

"Actually, damage should only occur in interference head engines like the AQ171. All other OHC models are non-interference, and a broken timing belt should not make the pistons hit the valves (at least, in theory)."

"El,

Theory is great on pap

"El,

Theory is great on paper,but the man said his timing belt blew causing valve damage.

It's a common occurrence on Volvo. I've seen it often. Nothing to argue about, your experience with them may differ."

"This is from a UK Volvo car f

"This is from a UK Volvo car forum:

"here is the truth.

Its the head and pistons that are of concern here.

most b230e/et/f/ft engines are fitted with 530 or 531 heads, these are all non interference.

some b230e and all b230k (carb) engines have the 631 (heron) head, these are interference.

all 16 valve engines are interference.

To be sure what head you have, look on the side of the head above the exhaust manifold, the cast number is there."

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=56156&highlight=16+valve

FWIW"

"Another bit of Info

Good m

"Another bit of Info

Good morning,
The casting is stamped on the side of the block in the cars. However the b230f engines are not an interference motor even though they are sometimes listed as such.
Thanks,
Paul

Chapman Motors [[email protected]]

However, Paul has a bunch of B230's for sale
"

"Thank you, Tom. I have recomm

"Thank you, Tom. I have recommended Chapman before in this forum, because I have found them very helpful and knowledgeable in the past, and they used to have a HUGE amount of Volvo B21, B23 & B230 OHC engines and engine parts (new and used) in stock. If I was considering marinizing a car engine, they would be on top of my list if I wanted to get a decent engine
thumbs_up.gif
(albeit they are not the cheapest)."

Back