Logo

99 Yamaha 2009 2 stroke

Does anyone know if the 9.9 Ya

Does anyone know if the 9.9 Yamaha 2009 2 stroke is identical to the 15 hp and what do I need to do to make it a 15. I remember the Suzuki 9.9 could be changed to a 15 by removing a screw that prevented the throttle from going all the way. Could it be that easy??

Not that easy and the results

Not that easy and the results won't be that impressive. I have a 9.9 and a friend has the 15(both Yamis) and we are running on similar inflatable boats. we can hold hands at top speed going down the river. Reed valves are different part number. Read old posts and this question comes up(by me) and its not worth it. The experts have grown tired of responding to it.

Drew

"Best way to get more power ou

"Best way to get more power out of a 9.9 is sell it and buy a 20 (at minimum) or a 25 if you really want to notice a difference.

As Drew says, it's pretty hard to tell the difference between a 15 and a 9.9 if you take the decals off.

There is a "mental" performance increase (you THINK you have way more power from a 15, but you really don't - same displacement = same torque band all the way up to the last 1/2" of throttle).

If you really want MORE power you have to more than double the horsepower.

Rule of thumb - 50% horsepower increase results in 15% performance increase and only at the very last part of the top end - so 9.9 to 15 is maybe 2 mph on flat water with no wind..."

Back