Logo

OMC 23 engine replacement what with

iow

Idid not plan to do this till

Idid not plan to do this till the winter

I have 2.3 OMC (Ford) engine on Cobra leg I need to replace the engine with diffrent type.
Has any one done this if so what engine did they use and what problems came with the job
I can not get hold of another 2.3 I am in UK that engine was never used over here

Just dropped them a line let&#

Just dropped them a line let's see.
But would have sooner put newer engine in replacement. As part's are a problem £150 for water pump and have been waiting 3 weeks for cam belt still have not got it.

[i]I can not get hold of anoth

I can not get hold of another 2.3 I am in UK that engine was never used over here

No Ford Ranger or Mazda pickups over there? maybe they use a different engine in UK...

Must be Ford Couriers or something in Europe somewhere with the 2.3

No Ford only went up to 2.0 ov

No Ford only went up to 2.0 over here then went on to the V6 2.3.
Mazda pickups have ther own engine in them most are 1.8
I am at a loss what to do so going to chuck a head set at it and see if I can get it to run till the end of summer if we get one .Then put diffrent engine in may be 1.9 TDI V W ?????

Why do you neeed a different e

Why do you neeed a different engine?
Is your block toast?
I would be taking measurements from a 2.0 Ford Pinto engine. Maybe search some info on the web if you can. I know the engine mounts and such were different. Oddly my first car was a Pinto with the 2.0 Cortina engine even though the 2.3 was the North American powerplant.
There are a couple of 2.0 Pinto motors on UK ebay for cheap.
Forget diesel unless you can get it to make torque at 5000 rpm.
Forget anything but Ford unless you work in a fabrication and machine shop.

Why do you need a different en

Why do you need a different engine?

Well it seems the UK has different way of doing thing's we do not stock part's for thing's over 10 year's old the 2.3 was never used in the UK I have been waiting over 4 weeks now for a cam belt .
Then also is the price of part's £150 for a water pump when it is listed at $130 in the USA $1.56 to the £ at the mo.

The 2.0 Pinto we have is getting old and very hard to find a good one plus it is only 110 HP the boat is underpowered as it is with the 2.3.

So my way of thinking is I can go out and buy new complete leg and engine more than the boat is worth or use my OMC leg that is good and put a engine in that I can get part's for easily over the counter.

Diesel cheaper safer less likely to go wrong and petrol over here at over £5 a gallon it sort of makes sense to go down that road. Don't know the torque but the TDI is rated at 145HP at 5500 RPM I only have 120 with the Pinto

I do have nice big workshop with lot's of tools to play with

"Unfortunately the only engine

"Unfortunately the only engines your leg might 'fit' with reference to hp and torque might be the GM2,5 and the Volvo 4 cyl's. But matching those to your leg,might be quite a task. Diesel, any, is out of the question when running a clutch-dog shifting system."

"You are stuck with the 2.3
I

"You are stuck with the 2.3
I would recommend buying spares overseas.
If it's a real issue to maintain, you'd be better off selling and looking for a different boat.
Matching flywheels, bellhousings, cooling systems takes thousands of pounds of custom fabrication work for which spares do not exist anywhere in the world."

Most modern diesel engines hav

Most modern diesel engines have ECU control so still can run interference system for the dog gear box.
My main worry is the amount of work making adaptor plate manifold my pet hate wiring and sorry to say they don't make the new engines as strong as the old ones but that is progress they say.

I have tried buying part's from USA most will not ship and main dealer in USA who has the part's keeps referring me to UK dealer who does not have the part's grrrrr. As I said in posting before I am nearly into my 5th week waiting for cam belt when they said a week. Some thing you guy's can just go down the road and buy with short summer's it is so frustrating.

Yea could be right buying different boat sail may be ? Na not that old yet lol and would not pass the problems I have with this one onto some one else will look into the Volvo side of thing's we have loads of them over here.

"Getting parts from US is not

"Getting parts from US is not a big problem, just set up a 'postal forwarding address'. On the other hand there are plenty of dealers within EU that might be able to send You the parts, I even used to have them in stock back in Norway and sent parts all over Europe.
The only diesel that might match up may be the VW diesel used by Mercruiser, but that one will give you even less!"

Part's just seem to be a n

Part's just seem to be a nightmare for it the leg does not seem to be a problem but the engine is. It seems like the 2.3 was only used in the US and made for a short time.
We just seem to live in a throwaway world now ??

I was thinking of the VW 2.0 TDI it is a common engine used by a number of car makers and put's out about 145hp it is lighter than the 2.3 it would also be cheaper to run.
So might be worth the work in the long run ??

"The TDI 140 Marine 5 cylinder

"The TDI 140 Marine 5 cylinder has 140HP and a max rpm of 3100.
With a swap to V8 outdrive gears and 23P prop you would probably get around 25mph out of your boat at 3100.
If you would be happy with that top speed, a repower could probably be done for around 10000 to 15000 pounds.
I could ship you 10 good used running 2.3 OMC marine engines for that."

Well I have to do some thing n

Well I have to do some thing now as the head has a crack on number one .I can not find a head or engine over here in UK
Has any one replaced there engine with something else other than the 2.3 ?
I have been told of many diffrent engines that should fit but so far no one has put there hands up to doing one must be some one out there ?

"the leg will work with a 3.0

"the leg will work with a 3.0 but it's a chevy motor. so you would need a new bell housing, " i think"

Heres a link from a guy that i buy from his number should be in there somewhere. he ships over where you live all the time.

oops i am in washington dc for a few days and don't have the link on my wifes puter.

cheapboatparts.com he's on ebay and local to me in nj good luck when i get back home i'll post the website if the one i put here is incorrect."

Well story so far can not find

Well story so far can not find the fault with 2.3 fluid checked ports head block and inlet manifold
The UK Ford Pinto 2.0 l is way different The later WD RS2000 engine and the new Zetec will not fit because of alloy sump's you can not get the starter in.
I have started adapting a VW 1.9 TDI engine

The TDI is almost there all bo

The TDI is almost there all bolted up just exhaust and wiring to do hope to run it on the floor tomorrow before I put it in the boat.
Hardest part was the adaptor plate and machining the flywheel to take starter from engine side
On the diesel note the engine I am using is out of a VW golf 1.9 TDI 130bhp more if I plug it in but one thing I found was it has it's own interrupter switch that was on clutch . So ECU must drop engine power when it is used no need for micro switches also all plugs on the loom are water tight they all have O rings.
The funny part is the so called fly by wire throttle it has a cable only about a 1 inch long but a cable lol

cool - would love to see some

cool - would love to see some pics of the install. Are you having an exhaust manifold fabricated? (stainless?)
Good luck with it.

"Have had the engine running o

"Have had the engine running on the floor .
On the hole it is not a job you can do unless you have lath mill tig welder for alloy and a lot of time.
I have had to make adaptor plate 10mm alloy from TDI to OMC bell houseing not using the adaptor for ford.I am running the TDI engine upright Have had to machine flywheel to take Ford ring gear on the engine side not gear box side have used Ford starter mounted to adapter plate just under Turbo. Have faced flywheel on clutch side flat to take OMC drive.Make new engine mount's the exhaust is a short link pipe I am making it to use OMC elbow water cooling it from Turbo.
The wireing is not that much of a problem have found a site on web that tells you how to run engine with out clocks there is also a link for wireing
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/golf-1z-tdi-immobiliser-wiring_topic38149_page 1.html
Next step it to drop it in the boat finish the front mounts so engine lines up and make exhaust to fit then try to sort wireing out from boat to VW.
Don't have any pic's will take some to mo before I drop it in but you can not see a lot as most of the work is inside bell houseing.
Yes I am makeing exhaust out of stainless."

Well almost there the exhaust

Well almost there the exhaust has turnned out to be the hardest thing to make .
It is stainless and have been playing chase the leak for two day's Grr Engine is in the boat and running .
The VW 1.9 TDI is a lot smaller than the ford engine and I would say lighter as well can not wait to try it

"pictures??? <[img]"http://www

"pictures???
lol.gif
"

LOL have not had time to take

LOL have not had time to take any as yet will take some in next few day's .I was rushing a bit trying to get it done for last Sunday as we had power boat race weekend but exhaust put pay to that.

engine alignment has any one g

engine alignment has any one got any tip's don't have the tool have taken drive shaft off the leg but can not get it to slide in easy ?
Can not get res down on photo's to post ?? but have sent some to Bob hope he can get them up for me

We took the boat out for first

We took the boat out for first trial and fill up with diesel 56p per litre better than petrol at £1.24 that was the first bit of good new's.

The engine performs well turbo cut's in at 2000 rpm just when you need it planes really fast compared to the Ford but have lost 5mph from top speed .
I could re prop to get this back as have the spare hp but going to keep it like this to safe guard the leg.

Have one problem in the form of knocking noise at idle in or out of gear and can not find what this is not alignment or gimbal bearing UJ's are fine as well?

Asking around it seems this could be the nature of the diesel engine ?

Will take some more photo's later

good for you. You sure the cou

good for you. You sure the coupler is dead center. What i really mean the shaft is dead center in the coupler.Any misalignment will make the shaft spin off center.

Yes spent about a week of chas

Yes spent about a week of chasing the knock even took drive shaft apart and run it with stub shaft in place no knock when in place grrr
When the boat is in the water you don't hear it so much but it's anoying as I know it is there still will add it to the list of job's to be done in the winter. I have some wiring to sort out and put out the way want to try and get rev counter to work not sure if the TDI ECU. Will run the boat's rev counter these job's have not been top of the list.

Just taken some photo's will e mail them to Bob and get him to post them (thank's Bob will have to let me know how you do it)

"Thanks for the update Gordon.

"Thanks for the update Gordon.
Coolest Bayliner runabout, that's for sure.
Could probably start a small business retrofitting these VW's with what you learned."

Back