Logo

AQ145A fuel pump prime

modemagic

"I've done some looking, b

"I've done some looking, but can't seem to find the answer via search. Is there a way to prime the fuel pump on the AQ145A motor? I don't have any fuel being delivered from the tank to the motor, and it doesn't seem to be sucking any up. There is a piece of additional airline tubing off the pump that I'm curious if it is used in the priming process, or it needs to be connected to something. Any help would be appreciated."

"The pump is self-priming. If

"The pump is self-priming. If it is not sucking, either the pump is no good, or there is a blockage or a source of air ingress in the suction line.

The plastic hose going from the pump to the carb is to prevent an explosion if the pump diaphragm ruptures and the pump leaks fuel. Without that hose, the fuel would go int the bilges instead of being sucked by the carb."

"Ok, so I removed the fuel lin

"Ok, so I removed the fuel line that runs from the fuel tank into the fuel pump, and took the short section of hose that is connected to the pump and put it in a small dish of gasoline. When I crank the motor over, it seems to be blowing bubbles into the dish of gasoline instead of sucking it up. I removed that hose from the fuel pump side and the inside of the hose is dry, confirming that no gas was ever actually sucked into the pump.

Is this a bad fuel pump then?"

Try this. Go to WalMart or any

Try this. Go to WalMart or any other place that sells them and buy an outboard motor priming bulb. You know the ones you have to squeeze to get fuel to an outboard. Install the bulb between your fuel tank and fuel pump. Squeeze it until hard and then try to start your motor. Sometimes when mechanical fuel pump dry out they need a little help to fill the fuel bowl and wet the diaphram.

Only two things go wrong with mechanical fuel pumps.

a- The diapharm breaks
b- The arm that runs on the cam or whatever drives them wears to the point that it no longer makes contact.

In the old days we used to be able to put new diaphrams in them. Can't do that anymore because material is not available.

"Casey, unlike fuel pumps for

"Casey, unlike fuel pumps for some older engine models like the AQ130, the fuel pump for the AQ145 is not serviceable. Also, a bulb may or may not do the trick to prime the fuel pump, but it should be removed from the fuel line after attempting the priming. Remember that Coast Guard rules are different for inboards than for outboards."

"El, you are correct and I sho

"El, you are correct and I should have noted that the priming bulb must come off after getting the engine running on the hard. They are not permitted on inboards. Thanks for catching that."

"With this motor, the cylinder

"With this motor, the cylinder head and intake manifold were off of the motor for a long time while I had the cylinder head machined, etc. I removed the fuel pump and the lever was in tact and seems to be doing something inside of the pump. I couldn't take the pump apart as El Pescador stated.

Casey, so you are suggesting buying a priming bulb and putting it in line between the fuel tank and fuel pump? before or after the fuel filter, or does it matter? After I get it running using the priming bulb, how do I remove it without loosing the 'primed fuel line'?

Thanks all!"

I don't think it matters i

I don't think it matters if it is before or after the filter. If the engine starts and runs with the bulb inplace shut it down take the bulb out and try to start it again. If it starts and runs without the bulb all is well. If it don't buy a new fuel pump. Caution: You cannot legally run an inboard with a priming bulb installed in the fuel system.

"To use the primer bulb you ar

"To use the primer bulb you are doing nothing but masking an original problem that needs to be addressed. Either a suction leak or a bad fuel pump..... especially after hearing of your findings.
Now check your fuel tank pick-up tube screen, anti-siphon valve and fuel filter. Replace if you suspect any issues.

For the cost of a new fuel pump, and the peace of mind gained, it would appear to be a "no brainer" (it would for me).

Don't put band-aids on your boat! Buy a new fuel pump!

"

"Dave,

have you checked the

"Dave,

have you checked the inlet line of your fuel filter by pulling it?

I would put it back together, and instead pull the inlet at the fuel filter.....Why?

Because it will actually tell you something. A clogged fuel filter will block fuel flow to the carb.

El & Casey, all this physics banter and you can't think passed the fuel pump...aren't you ignoring the law of physics,....and Newton's law as well?

More worried about coast guard regulations and the square root of Pi,i guess?
Course...I'm incompetent...ROTFLMAO !

Now,that doesn't mean that it's not the fuel pump,it just means we should check the obvious first gentlemen. El,i disagree with your conclusion that it will prove there is a blockage or a source of air ingress in the suction line..Not if the filter inhibits flow genius.

Ricardo, kudos man for thinking of the fuel filter and keeping an open mind...I give the man his props!
Jeezeusss you guys make me laugh!
smile.gif
"

"Brian, that sounded like a ra

"Brian, that sounded like a rather sarcastic comment towards El P! Hopefully you were just kidding. I'll assume that you were.
And to "foo foo" the importance of coast guard regulations, hmmmm!

Read Dave's second post (third post in on this thread) .... If that is not clear, then back to square one for some of us."

RE:"Only two things go wro

RE:"Only two things go wrong with mechanical fuel pumps. "

Actually there is a third thing..
Water in fuel causes the valves in the fuel pump to rust and not seal completely or stick.

"Ricardo,
Just a little bit

"Ricardo,
Just a little bit of humorous jabbing between old pals. Rather, maybe i should have reminded them not to overlook the section in there manuals labeled 'the basics troubleshooting' and how to follow a flowchart...when they immediately jumped to ways of working on the fuel pump.

Re: Read Dave's second post? what are you suggesting i'm not seeing?

Actually, i work closely with the Coast Guard in my area getting craft rechecked after layup. They would be the first to tell you i enjoy a good laugh. Most of those guys have a great sense of humor as well.

Casey, as per your 3rd post,how do you plan on knowing that the mans fuel filter is not blocked if you tell him he can put his primer bulb on either side of the filter...just curios?

Also, i disagree with your statement "Only two things go wrong with mechanical fuel pumps", as i have seen them corroded shut inhibiting flow,cracked housing ect."

"Actually, I don't find Br

"Actually, I don't find Brian's comments humorous, neither on this thread nor on this one.

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12487/290160.shtml

Besides, it seems obvious that King Brian has great difficulty understanding written English, which is bad if he has to interpret technical manuals (maybe that is why he does not like math or physics). When I see his comment "El,i disagree with your conclusion that it will prove there is a blockage or a source of air ingress in the suction line..Not if the filter inhibits flow genius...", I wind it appalling that he does not seem to understand the meaning of the term "blockage", which is "physical obstruction", "something that obstructs movement through a pipe or channel". I must admit that English is not my first language, but I think most educated people would agree with me that a clogged filter on a fuel suction line definitely qualifies as a "blockage".

Of course, I also know that "blockhead" means something quite different, but that's another matter, and I know for sure that I ain't one.

Instead of trying to make it now sound as a joke (which is clearly not) perhaps Mr. King should take a few steps back and keep in mind the old saying "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Sorry for the rant, but I have had enough of Mr. King's unwarranted personal attacks.
angry.gif
"

"El,

Calm down buddy. I tak

"El,

Calm down buddy. I take your verbal attacks don't I?

I wasn't aware that the suction line was proven to have ANYTHING to do with his problem. If I missed something, i challenge you to fill that in for me.

If a fuel filter is clogged, it in fact will effect the suction lines ability to suck, since the filter resides on the ( pressure side )line and may be blocking it ( the suction line )from functioning properly.

You did say it would prove that the blockage in question would be on the suction side,didn't you? Re: "blockage or a source of air ingress in the suction line". To my knowledge, the fuel filter is on the pressure side, and can effect it..being( the suction line )..please correct me if I'm wrong, instead of acting like an infant.

I was trying to help the man, rather than have him buying parts he might not need IE: ( the fuel pump ) I work on boats for a living, and i say what i say to help people. If you don't appreciate that....You can waste money foolishly and disregard my advice. It's a free world."

"Somebody Please tell me we&#3

"Somebody Please tell me we're not confusing our fuel filters with our fuel systems water separators.
question.gif
"

"Brian,

First of all, I ha

"Brian,

First of all, I have not verbally attacked you until you went on a rampage and I reached my limit.

I am not sure when you checked your vision last time, but if you look carefully to the picture, you will see that the pressure line (17) goes directly from the pressure side of the pump to the carbs. The filter (part 30) that shows in the picture goes in the suction line, same as in all the Volvo Penta AQ models I have seen before.

I, for once, doubt very much that you are a marine mechanic. An if you are one, may the Good Lord have mercy of your customers."

"El,

Correct, and line #17

"El,

Correct, and line #17 runs into #30 and back out underneath the intake manifold, at least on mine and the rest of the ones I've dealt with.

The other fuel pump line go's to the water separator and into the tank."

"From factory, it should be no

"From factory, it should be nothing 'inserted' in the split of hose #26! It is one solid hose, and is the hose for draining fuel off the pump in case of a ruptured pump membrane.
The only filter in the system is supposed to be the indicated #30, which is a CAV water separator and filter combine, and should be installed on a bulkhead between tank and engine."

"I'm telling you, there&#3

"I'm telling you, there's a water separator as well as fuel filter as with most all boats.I'm not trying to give you a hard time.

I know #26 is the rupture line, to stop explosions."

"Water separators with fuel fi

"Water separators with fuel filters should only be installed on suction side of fuel pumps. If 'someone' does otherwise, all tools should be removed and the responsible be degraded to a canoe mechanic at the most!!
Connection between mechanical fuel pumps and carbs should be by a rigid fuel line, no hose, no 'inserted' filters! No hose clamps allowed, no nothing!
I suggest you get a decent manual both for engine and perhaps even more important how to install a gasoline engine."

"Hello Morten,

I find it ve

"Hello Morten,

I find it very interesting that both you and I do share the same experiences regarding the OHC engines being non-interference, and the fuel filter on the VP AQs (with water separator cup or combined in you may) being on the suction line, etc. I guess those experiences should be shared by anyone who has worked either on VP or other marine engines, even if that person was not a professional marine mechanic. And anyone who claims to be a marine mechanic but clearly does not understand the basics of propellers or physics theory applied to boating makes me scratch my head...

I think there is only one logical explanation regarding why Mr. King's "professional" experiences are SO different. What is NOT clear to me is why he came to this forum to stir the pot, and what that agenda may be.

Sorry, it seems that the conspiracy theorist in me is still alive and well."

"Morten,

You have no clue w

"Morten,

You have no clue what your talking about."

"El.
I did not want to interr

"El.
I did not want to interrupt, but I worked at VP in Sweden back in the late 70 -early 80 and partly made the installation manual for the 145! I just could not resist.
I think we should both hold on to our believes and experience, that is probably what will benefit most of the genuine users of this board.
Then the 'pot stirrers' we just have to live with from time to time. They normally do not last long."

"Brian,
probably not. That is

"Brian,
probably not. That is why I retired my self and went sailing around the world instead.
On the other hand I put out more firers in boats created by bogus 'mechanics' than what I ever created myself when I was still 'active'."

"You dah man! Thank god yer sa

"You dah man! Thank god yer sailing!

Active as what,head fire chief?

VP in Sweden? wrote part of the 145 manual?

you really are a funny man. And you know what they say when one talks of there wealth?

Maybe with all that cash you could afford a domain name and your own site as well. Enjoy your pork and beans! If it weren't for guys like you to put food on my table...I'd probably starve..

Stir,Stir ROTFLMAO
smile.gif

Ps: what's firers? just curious?"

"Morten,

Every MerCruiser o

"Morten,

Every MerCruiser on the face of this planet has inline filters between the mechanical fuel pump and the carb. it resides in the snout of the rochester quadrajunk used to power them. ( carbed models )

My Chrysler has a separator/water filter before the pump, and an inline cartridge between the line to the carb...factory on both motors...

So i don't know what the heck you are referring to but you are mistaken.
My Volvo AQ151B has one also.

Here's a Merc # for you to chew on 1397-8767Q just Google it."

"Tsk, tsk..... Now our "Ki

"Tsk, tsk..... Now our "King of mechanics" does not seem to distinguish between a cleanable "fine strainer" inside the carb, after a continuous run of fuel pipe between the fuel pump and the carb; and an "inline cartridge" between the line to the carb (and the fuel pump, I presume)....

Way to go
uhoh.gif

Perhaps Mr. King would be so kind to go to his boat and take a picture, showing us how the filter (30) in the link he provided goes between the fuel pump and the carb, showing that the fuel pipe 17 is split into two (as he claimed) instead of being a continuous line between the fuel pump at the carb....

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7742860-23-15902.as px"

Back