Logo

Prop shaft hub removal

hidro

"Hey guys, I need to replace t

"Hey guys, I need to replace the hub that connects the prop shaft to the v-drive. This is a 85 model 4500 v-drive connected to a Crusader 270. I have unbolted the prop shaft hub from the v-drive and the prop shaft slipped back about 1 1/2 inches and stopped. I dont know the arrangement under the boat, but I dont think the prop is against the rudder, because it will still turn. However I dont want to force it to far back and damage something. The arrangement of the v-drive looked like it would roll back and leave room to slip off the prop shaft hub. I removed the drive shaft from the transmission and the rubber mounts on the v-drive wont let it roll out of the way. Any ideas besides removal of the v-drive? Thanks for the help."

zinc collar on the shaft is no

zinc collar on the shaft is now hitting front of strut??

guess the boat is still floating? maybe its time to get a mask and take a look?

"Yes the boat is still in the

"Yes the boat is still in the water. Should the prop shaft keep sliding back? Could be a zinc collar, Im not sure. I might catch diptheria diving in the marina.. How far should the shaft move before stopping? 85 Gibson 44. Thanks for the help."

"Can't say on the specific

"Can't say on the specifics of the 44 - never deal with that model.

besides a zinc, there's only the prop hitting the rudder (which probably will still turn) and the coupler hitting the packing gland that would stop the shaft from sliding.

If diving's not viable, then its travel lift or railway time....maybe there's a hydraulic trailer that can handle a 44'???"

Well I just returned from look

Well I just returned from looking at it again. I think I have enough clearance to pull the mounting bolts that attach it to the stringers and pull it(the v -drive) straight up allowing enough clearance to remove and reinstall the new hub. Hopefully alignment will be easier then. What are the pitfalls? Ideas? Thanks Glen

"You're changing the coupl

"You're changing the coupler on the prop shaft, right?

If you aren't removing the gear (just elevating it), working under it won't be a picnic. Biggest drawback is not having anything solid to get the old one off. You'll have to use a good puller and keep it square.

Make sure you support it very well, you don't need it coming down on hands or the hull.

I changed the solid couplers on mine a while back. wound up with an air compressor, a die grinder, and a stack of cut-off wheels. Split couplers went back in."

""wound up with an air com

""wound up with an air compressor, a die grinder, and a stack of cut-off wheels. Split couplers went back in."

bingo; me also. Had to use a air hammer even after I had cut a slots in both sides. I had very good access and used those thin metal cutting wheels."

"Well it worked out fine. Hoo

"Well it worked out fine. Hooked up a small chain hoist on an aluminum I beam, one side on the fuel tank, the other on the generator. Pulled the mounting bolts on the v-drive and hoisted it up, gave enough clearance to remove the prop shaft hub."

Back