Logo

Graymarine 160hp aluminum Fireball V8 help

wiltwa

"I need some help locating man

"I need some help locating manuals, parts lists, ect for my boat's engine, and the Eaton outdrive attached to it. My Grandfather(who passed away in the mid 1970's)built the boat from an American Molded Hull kit in 1963/1964. I know the engine is a Buick/Oldsmobile 215 CDI all aluminum V8. I found a number stamped on the block, 4GMJ784 273. Since the boat is an I/O it is a rear flywheel and a label indicates "turns left-hand propeller" so would that be standard, or opposite rotation? Grandpa was a bit of a rebel and built her with the helm on the port side rather than starboard, wouldn't be supprised if he put a counter-rotating engine in as a single to counter the weight of port controls! I know nothing about the Eaton outdrive, except it tends to break prop shear pins if you aren't smooth & gentle with the throttle! I don't have a picture of the drive, but here are a few of the engine. Also, she hasn't been run in about 15 years. The oil was changed before she was stored, but I don't think the engine was fogged. Any tips for restarting, or other info on engine or outdrive would be appricated.
289627.jpg
289628.jpg
289629.jpg
289630.jpg
"

"Good news, put a socket on th

"Good news, put a socket on the crankshaft bolt and it turns with very little effort, no stuck rings! after looking thru some more posts I see that this should be a standard(CW) rotation engine. Guess I know some of the basic pre-start things too, check fluids, change oil, fresh gas(old gas in tank is smelling real baad). I know I'll need to prime the oil pump with petro-jelly, we used to have to every spring. Guess the main question is if I should still put a bit of oil in each spark-plug hole, and maybe remove the valve covers and oil the valve guide seals before cranking her over?"

Back