Logo

Windlass anchor problem

"Hi Guys,
On my 1988 Chris Cr

"Hi Guys,
On my 1988 Chris Craft Catalina 292 I have a windlass anchor made by Rankey Winch Co. Just recently it stopped working. So I replaced the two 5 terminal solenoids, continuous duty, and no improvement. I did open the motor and brushes seem to be like new, the rotor turns freely.
I then checked the voltage on all heavy terminals (solenoids and three motor leads), the voltmeter reads 13.5 volts on each. I also tested the leads from the switch and I got 13.5 volts between the three leads.
I have no schematics on wiring and I wonder if I wired the main leads incorrectly. I hear no sound from solenoids when the switch is turned to either up or down.
What do I need to check to find the problem?
Thanks
Gene"

And what do you get between th

And what do you get between the leads on the switch while you actuate it?
Also what do you get between the switch leads and ground when you actuate the switch?

"Robert,
I took the readings

"Robert,
I took the readings at the switch and here is what I got:
Switch has three wires connected to its terminals: green, black and white.
Switch in neutral:
Voltage between green and Blk = 13.50 V
between green and white = 0 V
between Blk and white = 13.5 V
Switch on (held towards green terminal)
between green and blk = 13.5 V
between green and white = 13.20 V
between blk and white = 0 V
Switch on (held towards white term)
between green and black = 0 V
between green and white = 13.18 V
between blk and white = 13.50 V
In the attached I have made a sketch of connections on solenoids and motor terminals.
I appreciate your input!
Gene

<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/mime_msword.gif""" align=left alt=""application/msword"">wiring diagram
[url=""][b]Rankey windlass.doc[/b][/url] (26.1 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

"Sorry for the delay...
a few

"Sorry for the delay...
a few questions..
1) In your drawing, where does the "Battery Lead" go? + or - ?
2) If "-" (which I think it is) where is +12 connected to?
3) If it goes to "+" where is "-"?"

"Robert,
Thanks for your repl

"Robert,
Thanks for your reply. The battery pos. lead is connected to the solenoid and the negative battery lead to the motor body. I checked the continuity on all leads and even tested the switch leads from switch to solenoids and all is OK. However, I re-soldered the pos. battery lead terminal and couple of sol. leads. I now question my wiring after so many combinations. There are three terminals on the motor: the A (at the end of motor) and B and C (next to each other at the front - where shaft/gear are). The motor runs when I jumper these terminals and bypass the solenoids. I am not certain if the sol. wires to motor cables are routed properly. What cable from sol. goes to term. A? If I know this I could probably have the problem solved. Or is the switch faulty?
Regards
Gene"

"So the lead on your diagram m

"So the lead on your diagram marked "Battery Lead" goes to + and the connection to the - is not shown on your diagram, i.e., its a 4th terminal onthe motor?"

Back