Logo

Overheating AQ170 inline6

jader_1

"I have a 72 ranger that has s

"I have a 72 ranger that has strong motor in place but im having a overheating issue! the usual suspects in this case are all good! (perpellar, therm, water pump)I ran the motor off the hose for about ten min and it ran hot after. I took out the plugs and discover that Im running rich by five plugs and one the plugs is clean with no signs of rich damage but my concern is that there my be a problem in the headgasket! hopeful not! I also have water leaking from the back bottom of the motor! Want to know what could be the cause and suggesting to figuring what I could do fix or troubleshoot! And are any sites that post that motor manual"

Did you check:
"S" ho

Did you check:
"S" hose ( stern drive to transom shield)
water elbow ("S" hose to stren drive unit)
elbow on transom shield (inside boat on transom shield to the waterhose to raw water pump)
These are the easiest to check.

Other less easy to check:
"O" rings in the lower unit on the water tube.

Probably want to find out where the water leak from the back bottom of engine is from FIRST as this could be very expensive to fix.

"I found what caused the overh

"I found what caused the overheating...a blown head gasket. I drained the oil from the oil pan and it was chocolate in color which showed water getting in the cylinder head.
Would like to know if there are any complications in removing the cylinder head and how long would it take?
As well, is it a problem getting the cylinder head gasket kit and what is the best seal lubricant to use.
Also, do you know the torque requirement on the cylinder head?
If there is any other information that you may have regarding this particular problem, please let me know."

"jade,

for my gasket top en

"jade,

for my gasket top end kit for my Volvo AQ151B 4cyl
was around $150.00 dealer cost. My head gasket alone listed for around 80 bucks.

Napa auto parts might have it or be able to get it for you. At a Volvo Penta dealer be prepared for sticker shock!

Also, USE NO SEALANT on head gaskets! "

Trying to adjust my idle on my

Trying to adjust my idle on my AQ170 it has the three carbs on a in-line6 that is idling a little high! Any suggestions!

"Getting all those short rods

"Getting all those short rods and clamps to hold is tricky, once they are good and all the carbs open the same from the throttle cable, set all your adjustments to the mixture at 1 1/2. Start it up. keep it going with throttle squirts till you get the three mixtures close. As a final step get a piece of clear hose or fuel line and stick one end in your ear and the other the same distance down the carbs(what ever gets the best sound) then adjust your mixture till they all sound the same. Now sit back and flick the throttle- if you get a fire ball from all the carbs - your almost there. Just richen them up and check your timing advance and your done when it will accelerate with out burning all the hair off your arm-(you should see it at night!!!)"

when starting my motor AQ 170

when starting my motor AQ 170 the motor is giving off strong gas fumes! made some adjustments to get the idle prime just want the fumes to go away has well has the mix correct! any sugestings!

Back