Logo

81L Crusader ignition problem

boomerfishing

"I have a weird problem with o

"I have a weird problem with one of the twin 2002 8.1L Crusaders in my Pursuit. Intermittingly when I turn the key to start nothing happens. The other engine works totally fine. Typically, backing off the key and hitting it again engages the starter. Occasionally, it takes 3 or 4 attempts, but that is rare. When the key does engage the starter, the motor jumps immediately to life. I replaced the ignition switch, which is a simple 3 pole switch. While it seems a little better this didn’t resolve the problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks."

"Try temporarily jumpering out

"Try temporarily jumpering out the neutral safety switch on the trans. It could be the culprit.

I assume you cleaned up the battery and starter connections, along with the solenoid connections?

Jeff"

"Yep, that neutral safety swit

"Yep, that neutral safety switch is a common item for replacement, about every 10 years or so, it seems on the BW's."

Thanks. I'll try that. It

Thanks. I'll try that. It does seem like there is an open switch somewhere. The odd thing is that that the second attempt (without changes or moving anything) usually fires off. ed

Ed

That 'second time&#3

Ed

That 'second time's a charm' syndrome is a good indicator of a marginal contact.

A test light and a second set of hands will let you pinpoint the bad spot. The slave solenoids are also high on the suspect list.

"MakoMark: I wasn't famil

"MakoMark: I wasn't familar wth the slave solenoid until you mentioned it. I checked the manual and this does seem like a possible suspect. Not sure exactly what it does or how to check it, but it seems to be in the ignition circuit. Do these typically malfunction intermittently.

Great stuff from everyone on this BB. First time in for me. this is cool. Thanks,"

"The big reason it is there is

"The big reason it is there is to allow the ignition switch to provide a START function with minimal current draw. The GM starter solenoids can draw 10's of amps. This is handled by the slave solenoid, usually in close proximity to the starter. The slave typically requires ~ an amp to close.

All switching components can fail intermittently. Finding the guilty one usually isn't hard, just takes a bit of time...kinda like rockfishing."

Back