Logo

AQ125A impeller

beachguy

"As I was tugging on the old i

"As I was tugging on the old impeller in my 85' VP AQ125A to remove it, the impeller shaft with the slot on the inside end also came out. Does this mean I now need a new water pump or does the shaft simply slide back into place?"

"Just grease up the inside end

"Just grease up the inside end of the shaft good? It fits in snug, but I thought maybe there is a seal on the inside that I should be concerned about - No?"

"Yes, there is a lip seal pres

"Yes, there is a lip seal pressed into the back of the pump, so be careful when you insert the shaft. If in doubt, remove the pump and insert the shaft from the back."

"Ok, thanks. The marine suppli

"Ok, thanks. The marine supplier I purchased the impeller from (Volv-Penta dealer) says just slip it back in as you suggest. I guess I'll know right away if it requires a new pump as it will leak out the backside. Correct?"

"hi there, i have the aq130c h

"hi there, i have the aq130c had water coming out of the tel-tal hole behide the pump el p pointed out i needed new seals i also needed a new
shaft which was about £50 beter than paying £200+ for a new pump"

"Many thanks for everyone'

"Many thanks for everyone's time and shared knowledge. Thanks to you, I'm smarter than I was before and feel prepared to complete the project I'll reassemble, test on water, and let you know the results. :)"

"I reinserted the impeller sha

"I reinserted the impeller shaft with the key in place, put glycerine on the pump housing lip, seal gasket and impeller and bolted it all back together. I had an idea for inserting the impeller which worked pretty well - I put a zip tie around the impeller to hold the fins in (all leaning the right way) while I got it started into the pump. When the impeller fins were all started inside the pump housing, I clipped the zip-tie loose, rotated the impeller until it aligned with the key on the shaft and pushed it the rest of the way in -- worked pretty slick. A quick hour-long test run on the lake at slow and fast speeds yielded no leaks and temp at normal (180) the entire time. - Yeah! At one point after a fast run for about 2 minutes, I dropped it back to idle and pulled off the motor cover to check -- I noted a bit of noise that sounded like it was coming from the pump but it did not last more than a few seconds -- I though maybe it was just the new impeller seating into the pump - water had been running through for some time.

Again, many, many thanks to all who offered information, advice, and shared experience to this novice -- you all made my day!"

Back