Logo

Random start problem

joe_font

I have a 1993 454XL engine.Som

I have a 1993 454XL engine.Sometimes it starts up imediatly and within a few seconds stalls out.After several start attemps with waiting periods in between it starts and runs perfectly at high speed and at idle.I suspect the electric fuel pump? Any othe suggestions?

"Posted on Thursday, July 23,

"Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 01:19 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 1993 454XL engine.Sometimes it starts up imediatly and within a few seconds stalls out.After several start attemps with waiting periods in between it starts and runs perfectly at high speed and at idle.I suspect the electric fuel pump? Any othe suggestions?"

"Check your owner's manual

"Check your owner's manual to be sure but I believe your pump is controlled thru an oil pressure switch. Could be the switch is intermittent and should be replaced.

A volt meter across the pump leads will tell you if the battery voltage is being supplied to the pump. (A test light could be used, too.) Most also use the ignition feed from the starter solenoid to engage the fuel pump during cranking."

Back