Logo

RE Help needed with my aq130 please

tonyr5500

"hi again all,
thanks for th

"hi again all,
thanks for the help the other day EL P, the water pump sails had gone also the spindel for the impeller is done for to, parts on order should be here tomorro!! was talking to a marine enginer where i ordered the parts from he said about the timing being out dont have any idea how to put the time right asked if he could come around to do it but he is booked up for the next month reading other discussion on here about the Pertronix electronic ignition kit, if i get one of these kits will it sort out my timing or does the timing have to be right before the kit is fitted?
any help/info you many have would be great
thanks tony."

"Tony, If I may..... You'

"Tony, If I may..... You'll need to install the kit, then re-set timing because the new triggering device will not be indexed the same as the old contact points were.
IOW's, the timing will now be OFF!

Also, you will see a spacer included in this kit. Some require the spacer to raise the pick-up sensor as to align with the magnet impulse device (the little black plastic unit under the rotor).
They will not run correctly until this alignment is near perfect.

Be certain to not only set/check your BASE timing, but to also adjust so that your TA is correct.... of which is equally, if not more, important.
(see your Volvo Penta OEM specs for this TA)"

"Tony, if you are talking abou

"Tony, if you are talking about the ignition timing, that's easy to set. You just need a timing light, connect its magnetic pick-up in #1 spark plug lead, run the engine at idle and point with the light at the timing marks in pulley and block. According to the owner's manual for your engine, the ignition advance should be 12ºBTDC at idle (900-1000 RPM), and 27º-29ºBTDC at 2000 RPM. You need to loosen the distributor clamp nut, then rotate the distributor in small increments left or right while pointing with the timing light to the marks until you see the marks coincide at the correct point (you do this at idle, then verify that the advance at 2000RPM is what the book says it should be). If you decide to keep the points, you should gap them before setting the ignition timing. The manual (in the following link) explains how to do it.

http://vppneuapps.volvo.com/ww/PIE/ViewFileFrame.aspx?n=164143&r=2006-01-02-16-5 2-08&t=PDF&a=7723880&p=T403&d=OwnersPublication&s=13562563&lang=en-GB

If you decide to install a Pertronix kit, the installation is pretty straightforward and the instructions that come with the kit will guide you through the process. The most important thing to remember is to connect the electronic module correctly, for if you reverse the polarity you will fry it. Amongst other things, what you should notice with the Pertronix kit installed is that the engine starts better and the idle is much smoother than with points.

Good luck."

"ok thanks guys will have area

"ok thanks guys will have aread of the manual to see if i will be able to do it, if i can i will get her running on the points before changing to the other kit,
where can i get the Volvo Penta OEM specs for the TA?
also for got to as in my last post how do i work out the firing order on the cap i know she fires 1,3,4,2 but where on the cap does cyl 1 lead go 3, 4, then 2 when she is firing do the leads go next to each other or do they go on oppersite side to each other? i hope you can under stand what i mean
thanks again tony."

"Tony, the OEM timing specs ar

"Tony, the OEM timing specs are in the owner's manual in the link I provided on my previous post.

#1 cylinder is the farthest forward from the transom (or the closest to the water pump). You need to hook-up the timing light pick-up on the ignition lead connected to the spark plug on that cylinder.

On the distributor cap, see where #1 lead is connected, then going counterclockwise the next one is cylinder 3, the next one 4, and the next one 2."

"ok thanks will check out the

"ok thanks will check out the link after i have eaten,
as for the distributor cap the leads ant connected the right way as a so called mate who said he new what he was doing changed the lead around on the cap then could'nt remenber were they started out as i could'nt see what he was doing i missed what he moved where, as wear before she was starting but running like a pig now she dont fire right so i need to work out what lead should be where on the cap
thank you for all your help so far a*
tony."

Back