Logo

1989 OMC Ford 302 50L Pertronix Flame Thrower II

alevenko

"Hi gang, after 2 years just s

"Hi gang, after 2 years just started the boat. it took 2 cranks 5-7 sec each and it was purring. As soon as I've touched trim the engine stalled. Without engine running trim works just fine. Any suggestions to where to start looking? Thanks!"

"First make sure your battery

"First make sure your battery is good, the trim motor draws a lot of current (50 amp fuse), if the boat has been sitting for a couple of years I would remove the battery cables at each end and clean them very good and make them tight. I suspect you've got a bad connection and when you hit the trim it knocked the voltage down too low for the ignition to keep firing."

"Hi Andrey and Bob.. I've

"Hi Andrey and Bob.. I've been thinking about this on/off.. and still can't think of why..

Andrey do you have a separate connection to the battery for the trim and the engine ? can you start the engine, disconnect the Red to the engine (should stay running on the alt) then try the trim ? but only if the trim has it's own connections to the battery. That should separate every thing... Right ??

Andrey where does the ground for the trim and the ESA go to ?? Check and clean them too..

weird."

"Hi Brian...this problem is mo

"Hi Brian...this problem is more common than you might think and is usually caused by dirty terminals (almost like a high resistance short). Andrey shouldn't have a separate battery connection for the trim, normally it splits off at the start solenoid (or the assist)and feeds the 2 50 amp fuses, 1 for trim and 1 for everything else."

"Bob's got it. the dirty c

"Bob's got it. the dirty connection form a high resistance path. The trim motor is energized and that bad connection induces a voltage drop. The the ignition balks until the button is released.

Look between the battery and the trim fuse source connection. It could also be on the ground side, especially the black wire from the trim motor back to the gound lug on the battery."

"hi Bri! It was running OK bu

"hi Bri! It was running OK but as soon as I would put into gear - KAPUT! I've cleaned all major contact pairs I could find. I've noticed when my Marine Sony CD player is not working - everything fine, so maybe there is a problem with wireing. I was very surprised to see that Pertronix is working well with shift assist module (I've changed OEM module for new CDI module designed to work with Pertronix)."

Back